Re: What is a 'bug'? (was: Moving Risky Items Forward)

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 30, 2000
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
      > Was it Steve McConnell who
      > said "No one ever looks at a roach on the wall of the restaurant
      and says
      > 'There goes the roach'"?

      I believe that was Tom DeMarco in "Controlling Software Projects".
      My copy has gone missing, so I can't be certain.

      John Brewer
      Jera Design
    • John Brewer
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 4, 2000
        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "David Vivash" <PMA98DAV@S...>
        wrote:

        > This thread reminds me of the question "if you''ve got an error
        which
        > is never exposed by your program, is it a bug?"
        > That is, you could UT a method and get an unexpected result, but
        > this particular cicumstance never happens in your real code.

        That's why I like the fault/failure distinction. It's always a fault,
        even if it never causes a failure.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design