Re: [XP] Subject: Value of management

  • Nathan Arthur
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 29, 2000
      To me, management is like really good software - if it's done well, you don't think about it.  This is the same principle as "he makes it look easy".

      Disclaimer:  I am not a manager, not have I ever been.

      Additionally, in an XP shop, the traditional manager role of "decide what gets done" is taken over by the Customer, which means that the manager's responsibility is primarily to make the developer's job easy:  keep distractions out of sight, keep them from having to fill out forms in triplicate, make sure they always have the latest/best tools, be an advocate for issues that are important (space!), and be a "translator" from developerese into businessese.

      Nathan Arthur

      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 8, 2000
        From: "Dave Thomas" <Dave@...>
        > In PragProg, we suggest that the building metaphor is both wrong and
        > dangerous: it implies a greater degree of control and repeatability
        > that we currently have in software. The gardening metaphor seems to be
        > more appropriate.

        Amen! I hate the building metaphor. Buildings don't change significantly
        after being built, software does. Buildings exist in space, software exists
        in time. It's a lousy metaphor and I cringe every time someone brings it
        up.

        Jim