Re: [XP] How not to do Kanban

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2013
      Hi Kay,

      Good for you if you really do decide to leave. I keep on meeting
      people who find themselves in dead-end situations like you describe, and
      as they come to understand that they are VERY ready to move faster,
      further - well, they end up finding a better place to work. I hope you
      have better opportunities available to you!

      Francis' post reminded me of the many times I've worked someplace
      where they went into strange contortions to keep an incompetent person
      who had some sort of magical influence. I wish these people could see
      how much this destroys motivation for everyone who sees what's going on.

      Good lick, Kay. Let us know how you make out.

      - Nancy V.

      On 8/29/13 11:34 AM, Francis Fish wrote:
      > Hi Kay
      >
      > Change the organisation or ... change organisation. I did once work in a
      > place where they created (no lie) "Professor of Word Processing" so they
      > could shunt an incompetent with tenure out of the way. Is this team lead
      > also the gatekeeper to more senior management? Can you do anything about
      > this?
      >
      > btw - I love Larry's post too.
      >

      > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Larry Brunelle<brunelle@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I'm reminded of the signs we sometimes see in garages
      >> reading something like
      >>
      >> Labor $90 hourly
      >> If you watch $125
      >> If you help $175
      >> If you worked on it first $200
      >>
      >> to which could perhaps be added
      >> If you stand there and tell me how to do it $300
      >>

      >> Kay wrote:
      >>> Okay, they told us to do Kanban. So, one day, the "team lead"
      >>> (whose sole job is "tasking" the employees and who had me
      >>> "right-justify"columns in a sql insert script (a text file) so it
      >>> would be 'easier to maintain" – so one day, by herself, the "team
      >>> lead" created a Kanban board with the backlog . No imput from the
      >>> "team"
      >>>
      >>> And you wonder why I'M crying?
      >>>
      >>> (I've had my own Kanban board (for my own "tasks" up for a year.)
      >>>
      >>> kay P.

      Agile hardware? Yes! Agile safety-critical Embedded Systems too

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

      US mobile: 781 301 1822 nancyv@...
      Twitter: @vanschoo http://www.leanagilepartners.com
    • Kay
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
        hi, Nancy,

        I *am* leaving -- in fact, today's my last day!

        I"LL be volunteering at Agile DC in October. Going to practice TDD and brush up my Java and C#...
        Found Francis' Fish's "It's not your Fault"video on you tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWYxPoI3vZg&feature=youtu.be n) --- Very thought-provoking!!

        So If anyone's looking for an enthusiastic .Net programmer with strong technical writing skills in DC, Arlington, or OLd Towne Alexandria, you know where to find me!!

        Kay Pentecost

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Van Schooenderwoert <vanschoo@...> wrote:

        > Hi Kay,
        >
        > Good for you if you really do decide to leave. I keep on meeting
        > people who find themselves in dead-end situations like you describe, and
        > as they come to understand that they are VERY ready to move faster,
        > further - well, they end up finding a better place to work. I hope you
        > have better opportunities available to you!
        >
        > Francis' post reminded me of the many times I've worked someplace
        > where they went into strange contortions to keep an incompetent person
        > who had some sort of magical influence. I wish these people could see
        > how much this destroys motivation for everyone who sees what's going on.
        >
        > Good lick, Kay. Let us know how you make out.
        >
        > - Nancy V.
        >

        > On 8/29/13 11:34 AM, Francis Fish wrote:
        > > Hi Kay
        > >
        > > Change the organisation or ... change organisation. I did once work in a
        > > place where they created (no lie) "Professor of Word Processing" so they
        > > could shunt an incompetent with tenure out of the way. Is this team lead
        > > also the gatekeeper to more senior management? Can you do anything about
        > > this?
        > >
        > > btw - I love Larry's post too.
        > >

        > > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Larry Brunelle<brunelle@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> I'm reminded of the signs we sometimes see in garages
        > >> reading something like
        > >>
        > >> Labor $90 hourly
        > >> If you watch $125
        > >> If you help $175
        > >> If you worked on it first $200
        > >>
        > >> to which could perhaps be added
        > >> If you stand there and tell me how to do it $300

        > Agile hardware? Yes! Agile safety-critical Embedded Systems too
        >
        > Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.
        >
        > US mobile: 781 301 1822 nancyv@...
        > Twitter: @vanschoo http://www.leanagilepartners.com

      • Francis Fish
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
          On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

          > **
          >
          > Found Francis' Fish's "It's not your Fault"video on you tube (
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWYxPoI3vZg&feature=youtu.be n) --- Very
          > thought-provoking!!

          Thanks! I hope it helped.

          --
          Thanks and Regards,

          Francis

          07764 225 942

          "So when targets seem stupid, arbitrary and unfair it's because they *are*.
          The only way to improve is to look at the whole system people are operating
          with, the basic tools, their training, how much initiative they are
          allowed, are you measuring the right things (more about that later) and
          then you can improve. But it's the *system* you improve, not the people you
          beat into performing even worse." Unicorns in the
          mist<https://leanpub.com/unicorns>

          CV http://www.pharmarketeer.com/francis.html

          FJFDIDM Consultancy <http://fjfdidm.com/>

        • Kay
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
            Hi Charlie,

            Great advice!! and exactly what I'm doing.

            Thanks!!

            Kay P

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kay,
            >
            > Hey, I never thought about this before, but "Change your organization or...
            > change your organization" is a bit like the Law of Two Feet in Open Space.
            > You reminded me of my favorite formulation of it:
            >
            > "If you find you are neither learning nor contributing, use your two feet,
            > go someplace else."
            >
            > Charlie
            >

            > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > hey, Francis Fish,
            > >
            > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Francis Fish <francis@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > <snip> Is this team lead
            > > > also the gatekeeper to more senior management?
            > > Near as I can tell, the "team leads" only dole out "tasks" and have no
            > > upward mobility.
            > >
            > > Can you do anything about
            > > > this?
            > >
            > > well, I'm protecting my own sanity by leaving. NO one here I want to
            > > emulate... and nothing to learn here that I trust is accurate. (Right
            > > justifying SQL scripts, booo!)
            > > >
            > > > btw - I love Larry's post too.
            > > me too.
            > >
            > > kay

            > > > --
            > > > Thanks and Regards,
            > > >
            > > > Francis
            > > >
            > > > 07764 225 942
            > > >
            > > > "So when targets seem stupid, arbitrary and unfair it's because they
            > > *are*.
            > > > The only way to improve is to look at the whole system people are
            > > operating
            > > > with, the basic tools, their training, how much initiative they are
            > > > allowed, are you measuring the right things (more about that later) and
            > > > then you can improve. But it's the *system* you improve, not the people
            > > you
            > > > beat into performing even worse." Unicorns in the
            > > > mist<https://leanpub.com/unicorns>
            > > >
            > > > CV http://www.pharmarketeer.com/francis.html
            > > >
            > > > FJFDIDM Consultancy <http://fjfdidm.com/>

          • madbadrabbit
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2013
              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > Hey, I never thought about this before, but "Change your organization or...
              > change your organization" is a bit like the Law of Two Feet in Open Space.

              Agile adoption would quickly pass 95%, if everyone could walk into a new workplace as easily as an Open Space session.