Re: [XP] Re: Rise & Fall of Design Patterns:Lessons to learn?

  • Agustin Villena
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
      Steve
      Good points!
      Thanks
      Agustín
      El jul 24, 2013 3:06 PM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

      > The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
      > pattern conferences.
      >
      > For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
      > Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
      > primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
      > leverages patterns.
      >
      > Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
      > successes.
      >
      > SteveG
      >
      > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <
      > agustin.villena@...
      > > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Thank you all for the great feedback
      > >
      > > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
      > > point), but that was not my point.
      > >
      > > My real question is:
      > >
      > > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
      > > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid?
      > (for
      > > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)
      > >
      > > Saludos
      > > Agustín
      > > El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
      > > escribió:
      > >
      > > > Hi all!
      > > >
      > > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
      > > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
      > > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking
      > for
      > > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
      > > >
      > > > My questions are.
      > > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design
      > patterns
      > > > movement?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Agustin Villena
      > > > @agustinvillena
      > > >
      > > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
      > > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the
      > plateau
      > > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they
      > deserve.

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
        Agustín,

        On 7/24/13 2:53 PM, Agustin Villena wrote:
        > Thank you all for the great feedback
        >
        > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
        > point), but that was not my point.
        >
        > My real question is:
        >
        > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
        > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
        > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

        I would be careful to make it clear that the patterns are not recipes,
        and not "universally good," but responses to a context. And I would
        illustrate each pattern in several contexts to show variations. Tell the
        story, not just the skeleton of the pattern.

        - George

        --
        Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013