Re: Rise & Fall of Design Patterns:Lessons to learn?

  • Agustin Villena
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
      Thank you all for the great feedback

      Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
      point), but that was not my point.

      My real question is:

      If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
      which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
      the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

      Saludos
      Agustín
      El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
      escribió:

      > Hi all!
      >
      > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
      > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
      > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking for
      > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
      >
      > My questions are.
      > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design patterns
      > movement?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Agustin Villena
      > @agustinvillena
      >
      > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
      > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the plateau
      > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they deserve.

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
        The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
        pattern conferences.

        For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
        Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
        primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
        leverages patterns.

        Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
        successes.

        SteveG

        On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <agustin.villena@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
          Steve
          Good points!
          Thanks
          Agustín
          El jul 24, 2013 3:06 PM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

          > The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
          > pattern conferences.
          >
          > For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
          > Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
          > primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
          > leverages patterns.
          >
          > Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
          > successes.
          >
          > SteveG
          >
          > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <
          > agustin.villena@...
          > > wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Thank you all for the great feedback
          > >
          > > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
          > > point), but that was not my point.
          > >
          > > My real question is:
          > >
          > > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
          > > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid?
          > (for
          > > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)
          > >
          > > Saludos
          > > Agustín
          > > El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
          > > escribió:
          > >
          > > > Hi all!
          > > >
          > > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
          > > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
          > > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking
          > for
          > > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
          > > >
          > > > My questions are.
          > > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design
          > patterns
          > > > movement?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks
          > > > Agustin Villena
          > > > @agustinvillena
          > > >
          > > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
          > > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the
          > plateau
          > > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they
          > deserve.

        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
            Agustín,

            On 7/24/13 2:53 PM, Agustin Villena wrote:
            > Thank you all for the great feedback
            >
            > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
            > point), but that was not my point.
            >
            > My real question is:
            >
            > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
            > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
            > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

            I would be careful to make it clear that the patterns are not recipes,
            and not "universally good," but responses to a context. And I would
            illustrate each pattern in several contexts to show variations. Tell the
            story, not just the skeleton of the pattern.

            - George

            --
            Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013