Re: [XP] Rise & Fall of Design Patterns:Lessons to learn?

  • Filipe Correia
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 23, 2013
      I would consider it indicative that the patterns community is still
      very active in documenting agile practices! :-)

      The "design patterns" buzzword might not be as hyped as it once was,
      but more patterns are being documented every year. Some explicitly as
      such (see the xPLoP conferences --- PLoP, EuroPLoP, AsianPLoP,
      VikingPLoP, SugarLoafPLoP, etc), others not as explicitly but still
      very successfully (books like "Domain-Driven Design" make extensive
      use of patterns).

      So, coming back to your question, I wouldn't say design patterns have
      "fallen". They just entered the mainstream.

      Filipe

    • Sean Corfield
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
        On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
        > The original GoF patterns are useful to learn, even though many of them are
        > solving limitations in the language rather than actual problems in the
        > domain of your product.

        Indeed. If you work primarily in FP languages, rather than OOP
        languages, several of those "patterns" are either built into the
        language or are simply irrelevant. A few of them apply as-is, some
        apply in a different form.

        I remember when the GoF book came out and it was quite revolutionary
        at the time ('94, as I recall?) - the OOP world was evolving very
        rapidly back then (late 80's thru mid-90's) and there were a lot of
        exciting things happening, interesting conferences and technical
        papers, ground-breaking books, etc. In the decades since, that's all
        become just part of the accepted canon of OOP wisdom and we talk about
        it a lot less.

        As we see the resurgence of FP, it will be interesting to see if we
        get a similar spike of excitement and new material. I suspect we won't
        because FP has been around for so long in the background, although we
        are seeing interesting conferences focusing on FP (The Strange Loop is
        fairly heavily FP-focused, Lambda Jam recently was a great FP-focused
        cross-language event). We have a whole generation of OOP developers
        who will have to unlearn a lot of "bad habits" and learn a whole new
        way of thinking - ironically the previous generation take to FP more
        easily, in my experience, because they knew other styles of
        programming before OOP!

        After the initial fuss around Design Patterns died down, the Patterns
        community moved on to codify and categorize patterns in process in a
        (mostly) technology-neutral way and that seems to be an area that
        never got as much interest from the broader software development
        community as it deserved. Nice to see some mention of that aspect of
        patterns in this thread.
        --
        Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

        "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
      • Agustin Villena
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
          Thank you all for the great feedback

          Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
          point), but that was not my point.

          My real question is:

          If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
          which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
          the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

          Saludos
          Agustín
          El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
          escribió:

          > Hi all!
          >
          > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
          > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
          > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking for
          > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
          >
          > My questions are.
          > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design patterns
          > movement?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Agustin Villena
          > @agustinvillena
          >
          > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
          > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the plateau
          > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they deserve.

        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
            The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
            pattern conferences.

            For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
            Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
            primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
            leverages patterns.

            Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
            successes.

            SteveG

            On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <agustin.villena@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
              Steve
              Good points!
              Thanks
              Agustín
              El jul 24, 2013 3:06 PM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

              > The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
              > pattern conferences.
              >
              > For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
              > Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
              > primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
              > leverages patterns.
              >
              > Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
              > successes.
              >
              > SteveG
              >
              > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <
              > agustin.villena@...
              > > wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Thank you all for the great feedback
              > >
              > > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
              > > point), but that was not my point.
              > >
              > > My real question is:
              > >
              > > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
              > > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid?
              > (for
              > > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)
              > >
              > > Saludos
              > > Agustín
              > > El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
              > > escribió:
              > >
              > > > Hi all!
              > > >
              > > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
              > > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
              > > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking
              > for
              > > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
              > > >
              > > > My questions are.
              > > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design
              > patterns
              > > > movement?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > > Agustin Villena
              > > > @agustinvillena
              > > >
              > > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
              > > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the
              > plateau
              > > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they
              > deserve.

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                Agustín,

                On 7/24/13 2:53 PM, Agustin Villena wrote:
                > Thank you all for the great feedback
                >
                > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                > point), but that was not my point.
                >
                > My real question is:
                >
                > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
                > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

                I would be careful to make it clear that the patterns are not recipes,
                and not "universally good," but responses to a context. And I would
                illustrate each pattern in several contexts to show variations. Tell the
                story, not just the skeleton of the pattern.

                - George

                --
                Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013