Re: [XP] Examples of good acceptance test criteria

  • Lior Friedman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
      On Jul 22, 2013 10:16 PM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for really good examples of acceptance test criteria so that
      I can help the PO's and Teams to understand what makes really good
      acceptance test criteria.

      > After many sprints I am still getting the "Don't have clarity of what is
      required". Acceptance tests are too high level.

      How about putting one of your stories as an example, so we can have
      something to work on?

      Lior

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
        Lior,

        On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Lior Friedman <lfriedmal@...> wrote:

        > How about putting one of your stories as an example, so we can have
        > something to work on?

        Brilliant! :)

        Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and your tail, to get someplace better.
        Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you were made for this.

      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
          > Note that while Cucumber is an excellent tool compatible with many
          > different programming languages you don't need to be using Cucumber to
          > benefit from writing your scenarios this way. There are also alternative
          > tools that use similar syntax.

          When I wrote Morelia viridis (a Python clone for Cucumber, in like 5%
          of the lines of code), I was not working with an XP team. But the only
          point of Cucumber notation ("Gherkin") is to let an onsite customer
          read and write the scenarios as business rules, without the extra
          clutter that a real programming language drags in.

          But one of my assignments went something like this: "If the customer
          orders up to 4 tee-shirts and one speed-suit, stick them all in a
          one-wet-suit box. But if they order two speed-suits, put these into a
          wet-suit box. If they order two speed-suits and a wet-suit, put them
          in a two-wet-suit box." And so on.

          I wrote all that up as Cucumber scenarios, passed them, and e-mailed them out.

          Our client emailed back one of the scenarios emended (4 tee-shirts & 1
          wet-suit in a single wet-suit box), and I entered that and passed it.

          _that_ is what Cucumber is for. And that's why DHH wrote a post
          flaming Cucumber, because he's tired of seeing everyone use it wrong.
        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
            I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is that
            the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
            preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the scenarios. I
            would insist on a face-to-face conversation.

            I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
            programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that. Cucumber
            is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is not
            involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong project.)

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
              > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote.

              Blame bad editing from a roadside stop at a Starbucks. I answered the
              original question "what's good acceptance test criteria".
            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                Adam,

                On 7/22/13 9:21 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is that
                > the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                > preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the scenarios. I
                > would insist on a face-to-face conversation.
                >
                > I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                > programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that. Cucumber
                > is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is not
                > involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong project.)

                I would. Sometimes I need to facilitate the conversation with myself. I
                find that expressing the business problem in "english" is often better
                for that than expressing it in code.

                If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting the
                Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)

                - George

                P.S. Nice examples, Phlip.

                --
                Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
              • Adam Sroka
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                  On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, George Dinwiddie
                  <lists@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Adam,
                  >

                  > On 7/22/13 9:21 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                  > > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is
                  > that
                  > > the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                  > > preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the
                  > scenarios. I
                  > > would insist on a face-to-face conversation.
                  > >
                  > > I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                  > > programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that. Cucumber
                  > > is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is not
                  > > involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong project.)
                  >
                  > I would. Sometimes I need to facilitate the conversation with myself. I
                  > find that expressing the business problem in "english" is often better
                  > for that than expressing it in code.

                  Both are valid choices, and I have a lot of other friends who would do that
                  too. I am a bit weary of Cucumber for at least three reasons: 1) it adds
                  additional complexity to my test suite, 2) as the system grows in
                  complexity step definitions can collide and this takes additional effort to
                  resolve, 3) there is no guarantee that step definitions actually mean what
                  the english they are matching to suggests they mean and this takes
                  additional effort to ensure.

                  I am willing to accept the extra work implied by those issues if my
                  customer is willing to invest effort helping to write and maintain the
                  Gherkin. If they aren't then I will just avoid them by using a tool that is
                  closer to the code. RSpec is pretty darn close to english, and I can get
                  pretty close with xUnit as well (with a few exceptions, depending on the
                  specific tool.)

                  > If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting the
                  > Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)

                  Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am not
                  going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in the
                  development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just to
                  write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and there
                  are several levels in between.

                • Steven Gordon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                    On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, George Dinwiddie
                    > <lists@...>wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    >

                    > > Adam,
                    > >

                    > > On 7/22/13 9:21 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                    > > > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is
                    > > that
                    > > > the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                    > > > preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the
                    > > scenarios. I
                    > > > would insist on a face-to-face conversation.
                    > > >
                    > > > I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                    > > > programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that.
                    > Cucumber
                    > > > is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is
                    > not
                    > > > involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong
                    > project.)
                    > >
                    > > I would. Sometimes I need to facilitate the conversation with myself. I
                    > > find that expressing the business problem in "english" is often better
                    > > for that than expressing it in code.
                    > >

                    > Both are valid choices, and I have a lot of other friends who would do that
                    > too. I am a bit weary of Cucumber for at least three reasons: 1) it adds
                    > additional complexity to my test suite, 2) as the system grows in
                    > complexity step definitions can collide and this takes additional effort to
                    > resolve, 3) there is no guarantee that step definitions actually mean what
                    > the english they are matching to suggests they mean and this takes
                    > additional effort to ensure.
                    >
                    > I am willing to accept the extra work implied by those issues if my
                    > customer is willing to invest effort helping to write and maintain the
                    > Gherkin. If they aren't then I will just avoid them by using a tool that is
                    > closer to the code. RSpec is pretty darn close to english, and I can get
                    > pretty close with xUnit as well (with a few exceptions, depending on the
                    > specific tool.)
                    >

                    > > If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting the
                    > > Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)
                    > >

                    > Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am not
                    > going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in the
                    > development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just to
                    > write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and there
                    > are several levels in between.

                    And there are many customers who will delegate the details of writing and
                    maintaining Gherkin to non-programmer intermediaries like BAs or Testers.
                    As long as the customer and those intermediaries are active participants in
                    the project, especially in the conversation about each story, that can work
                    fine. Leveraging a language that non-programmers can read helps align
                    everybody's understanding.

                    SteveG

                  • Adam Sroka
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                      On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, George Dinwiddie
                      > > <lists@...>wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting
                      > the
                      > > > Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)
                      > > >

                      > > Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am not
                      > > going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in
                      > the
                      > > development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just
                      > > write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and
                      > there
                      > > are several levels in between.
                      > >

                      > And there are many customers who will delegate the details of writing and
                      > maintaining Gherkin to non-programmer intermediaries like BAs or Testers.
                      > As long as the customer and those intermediaries are active participants in
                      > the project, especially in the conversation about each story, that can work
                      > fine. Leveraging a language that non-programmers can read helps align
                      > everybody's understanding.

                      Sure, as long as the BAs and/or testers are part of a whole team and not a
                      distinct group that is physically separate.

                      It is possible to teach testers to write and maintain Gherkin. I have done
                      it. It is also possible to train BAs to act as effective customer proxies.
                      Neither is as good as the active participation of an actual onsite
                      customer, though.

                    • Adam Sroka
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                        P.S. and, as you suggest, if both the BA/tester and the customer are active
                        participants then that is even better, because BAs and testers bring skills
                        to writing the Gherkin that the customer may not have

                        On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...>wrote:
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                        >> the
                        >> > >

                        >> > Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am
                        >> not
                        >> > going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in
                        >> the
                        >> > development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just
                        >> > write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and
                        >> there
                        >> > are several levels in between.
                        >> >

                        >> And there are many customers who will delegate the details of writing and
                        >> maintaining Gherkin to non-programmer intermediaries like BAs or Testers.
                        >> As long as the customer and those intermediaries are active participants
                        >> in
                        >> the project, especially in the conversation about each story, that can
                        >> work
                        >> fine. Leveraging a language that non-programmers can read helps align
                        >> everybody's understanding.
                        >>

                        > Sure, as long as the BAs and/or testers are part of a whole team and not a
                        > distinct group that is physically separate.
                        >
                        > It is possible to teach testers to write and maintain Gherkin. I have done
                        > it. It is also possible to train BAs to act as effective customer proxies.
                        > Neither is as good as the active participation of an actual onsite
                        > customer, though.

                      • JackM
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
                          Thanks Ron,