Re: [XP] Examples of good acceptance test criteria

  • Rob Park
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
      On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for really good examples of acceptance test criteria so that
      > I can help the PO's and Teams to understand what makes really good
      > acceptance test criteria.
      >
      > After many sprints I am still getting the "Don't have clarity of what is
      > required". Acceptance tests are too high level.
      >
      > I have read through Mike's user stories applied book and their are
      > examples there but they're rather simple in nature for a basic website.
      >
      > If you can point me to any literature, blog etc on this topic i'd
      > sincerely appreciate it.

      I don't think this will just have some simple examples that you may be
      after, but Specification by Example is all about good acceptance test
      criteria. http://specificationbyexample.com/

      @rob

      > Thanks
      > jack

    • Francis Fish
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
        On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I am looking for really good examples of acceptance test criteria so that
        > I can help the PO's and Teams to understand what makes really good
        > acceptance test criteria.
        >
        > After many sprints I am still getting the "Don't have clarity of what is
        > required". Acceptance tests are too high level.
        >
        > I have read through Mike's user stories applied book and their are
        > examples there but they're rather simple in nature for a basic website.
        >
        > If you can point me to any literature, blog etc on this topic i'd
        > sincerely appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks
        > jack

        I think that if you were doing outside in dev, as described in the Cucumber
        book, and also the leanpub book Cucumber and Cheese, then the lower level
        tests should come out as part of the process, as part of the dialogue
        between the test and dev teams.

        The criteria come out of the dialogue, it sounds like the people involved
        need to work together more and understand what 'clean flow' for the next
        people in the process means, this is a classic example of waste in fact.

        Thanks and regards,

        Francis

        Unicorns in the Mist https://leanpub.com/unicorns
        Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/fjfish
        Blog at http://www.francisfish.com
        Books at https://leanpub.com/u/fjfish
        CV http://www.pharmarketeer.com/francis.html

        I have no intention of apologizing for believing in people, for insisting
        that we all use this moment and these assets to create some art and improve
        the world around us.
        To do anything less than that is a crime. - Seth Godin

      • Wouter Lagerweij
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
          Hi Jack,

          I rather like Ken Pugh's book (
          http://www.amazon.com/Lean-Agile-Acceptance-Test-Driven-Development-Collaboration/dp/0321714083
          )
          It's very 'hands on', describing interactions between team and PO, and
          giving many concrete examples using an example project.

          The Specification by Example book (Gojko Adzic) is also very good, but is
          more focused on the process, in my opinion.

          Wouter

          --
          Wouter Lagerweij | wouter@...
          http://www.lagerweij.com | @wouterla <http://twitter.com/#!/wouterla>

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
            Hi Jack,

            On Jul 22, 2013, at 3:16 PM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for really good examples of acceptance test criteria so that I can help the PO's and Teams to understand what makes really good acceptance test criteria.

            In addition to the reading suggested already, how about you tell us some of your user stories and we'll brainstorm some tests.

          • Adam Sroka
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
              I second those recommendations (https://leanpub.com/cucumber_and_cheese and
              http://pragprog.com/book/hwcuc/the-cucumber-book)

              Note that while Cucumber is an excellent tool compatible with many
              different programming languages you don't need to be using Cucumber to
              benefit from writing your scenarios this way. There are also alternative
              tools that use similar syntax.

              On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Francis Fish <francis@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I am looking for really good examples of acceptance test criteria so that
              > > I can help the PO's and Teams to understand what makes really good
              > > acceptance test criteria.
              > >
              > > After many sprints I am still getting the "Don't have clarity of what is
              > > required". Acceptance tests are too high level.
              > >
              > > I have read through Mike's user stories applied book and their are
              > > examples there but they're rather simple in nature for a basic website.
              > >
              > > If you can point me to any literature, blog etc on this topic i'd
              > > sincerely appreciate it.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > jack
              > >

              > I think that if you were doing outside in dev, as described in the Cucumber
              > book, and also the leanpub book Cucumber and Cheese, then the lower level
              > tests should come out as part of the process, as part of the dialogue
              > between the test and dev teams.
              >
              > The criteria come out of the dialogue, it sounds like the people involved
              > need to work together more and understand what 'clean flow' for the next
              > people in the process means, this is a classic example of waste in fact.
              >
              > Thanks and regards,
              >
              > Francis
              >
              > Unicorns in the Mist https://leanpub.com/unicorns
              > Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/fjfish
              > Blog at http://www.francisfish.com
              > Books at https://leanpub.com/u/fjfish
              > CV http://www.pharmarketeer.com/francis.html
              >
              > I have no intention of apologizing for believing in people, for insisting
              > that we all use this moment and these assets to create some art and improve
              > the world around us.
              > To do anything less than that is a crime. - Seth Godin

            • Lior Friedman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
                On Jul 22, 2013 10:16 PM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

                > I am looking for really good examples of acceptance test criteria so that
                I can help the PO's and Teams to understand what makes really good
                acceptance test criteria.

                > After many sprints I am still getting the "Don't have clarity of what is
                required". Acceptance tests are too high level.

                How about putting one of your stories as an example, so we can have
                something to work on?

                Lior

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Lior,

                  On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Lior Friedman <lfriedmal@...> wrote:

                  > How about putting one of your stories as an example, so we can have
                  > something to work on?

                  Brilliant! :)

                  Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and your tail, to get someplace better.
                  Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you were made for this.

                • Phlip
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
                    > Note that while Cucumber is an excellent tool compatible with many
                    > different programming languages you don't need to be using Cucumber to
                    > benefit from writing your scenarios this way. There are also alternative
                    > tools that use similar syntax.

                    When I wrote Morelia viridis (a Python clone for Cucumber, in like 5%
                    of the lines of code), I was not working with an XP team. But the only
                    point of Cucumber notation ("Gherkin") is to let an onsite customer
                    read and write the scenarios as business rules, without the extra
                    clutter that a real programming language drags in.

                    But one of my assignments went something like this: "If the customer
                    orders up to 4 tee-shirts and one speed-suit, stick them all in a
                    one-wet-suit box. But if they order two speed-suits, put these into a
                    wet-suit box. If they order two speed-suits and a wet-suit, put them
                    in a two-wet-suit box." And so on.

                    I wrote all that up as Cucumber scenarios, passed them, and e-mailed them out.

                    Our client emailed back one of the scenarios emended (4 tee-shirts & 1
                    wet-suit in a single wet-suit box), and I entered that and passed it.

                    _that_ is what Cucumber is for. And that's why DHH wrote a post
                    flaming Cucumber, because he's tired of seeing everyone use it wrong.
                  • Adam Sroka
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
                      I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is that
                      the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                      preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the scenarios. I
                      would insist on a face-to-face conversation.

                      I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                      programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that. Cucumber
                      is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is not
                      involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong project.)

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 22, 2013
                        > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote.

                        Blame bad editing from a roadside stop at a Starbucks. I answered the
                        original question "what's good acceptance test criteria".
                      • George Dinwiddie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                          Adam,

                          On 7/22/13 9:21 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                          > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is that
                          > the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                          > preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the scenarios. I
                          > would insist on a face-to-face conversation.
                          >
                          > I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                          > programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that. Cucumber
                          > is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is not
                          > involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong project.)

                          I would. Sometimes I need to facilitate the conversation with myself. I
                          find that expressing the business problem in "english" is often better
                          for that than expressing it in code.

                          If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting the
                          Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)

                          - George

                          P.S. Nice examples, Phlip.

                          > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> **
                          >>

                          >>> Note that while Cucumber is an excellent tool compatible with many
                          >>> different programming languages you don't need to be using Cucumber to
                          >>> benefit from writing your scenarios this way. There are also alternative
                          >>> tools that use similar syntax.
                          >>
                          >> When I wrote Morelia viridis (a Python clone for Cucumber, in like 5%
                          >> of the lines of code), I was not working with an XP team. But the only
                          >> point of Cucumber notation ("Gherkin") is to let an onsite customer
                          >> read and write the scenarios as business rules, without the extra
                          >> clutter that a real programming language drags in.
                          >>
                          >> But one of my assignments went something like this: "If the customer
                          >> orders up to 4 tee-shirts and one speed-suit, stick them all in a
                          >> one-wet-suit box. But if they order two speed-suits, put these into a
                          >> wet-suit box. If they order two speed-suits and a wet-suit, put them
                          >> in a two-wet-suit box." And so on.
                          >>
                          >> I wrote all that up as Cucumber scenarios, passed them, and e-mailed them
                          >> out.
                          >>
                          >> Our client emailed back one of the scenarios emended (4 tee-shirts & 1
                          >> wet-suit in a single wet-suit box), and I entered that and passed it.
                          >>
                          >> _that_ is what Cucumber is for. And that's why DHH wrote a post
                          >> flaming Cucumber, because he's tired of seeing everyone use it wrong.

                          --
                          Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
                        • Adam Sroka
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                            On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, George Dinwiddie
                            <lists@...>wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Adam,
                            >

                            > On 7/22/13 9:21 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                            > > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is
                            > that
                            > > the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                            > > preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the
                            > scenarios. I
                            > > would insist on a face-to-face conversation.
                            > >
                            > > I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                            > > programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that. Cucumber
                            > > is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is not
                            > > involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong project.)
                            >
                            > I would. Sometimes I need to facilitate the conversation with myself. I
                            > find that expressing the business problem in "english" is often better
                            > for that than expressing it in code.

                            Both are valid choices, and I have a lot of other friends who would do that
                            too. I am a bit weary of Cucumber for at least three reasons: 1) it adds
                            additional complexity to my test suite, 2) as the system grows in
                            complexity step definitions can collide and this takes additional effort to
                            resolve, 3) there is no guarantee that step definitions actually mean what
                            the english they are matching to suggests they mean and this takes
                            additional effort to ensure.

                            I am willing to accept the extra work implied by those issues if my
                            customer is willing to invest effort helping to write and maintain the
                            Gherkin. If they aren't then I will just avoid them by using a tool that is
                            closer to the code. RSpec is pretty darn close to english, and I can get
                            pretty close with xUnit as well (with a few exceptions, depending on the
                            specific tool.)

                            > If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting the
                            > Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)

                            Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am not
                            going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in the
                            development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just to
                            write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and there
                            are several levels in between.

                          • Steven Gordon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                              On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, George Dinwiddie
                              > <lists@...>wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              >

                              > > Adam,
                              > >

                              > > On 7/22/13 9:21 PM, Adam Sroka wrote:
                              > > > I'm not sure how this is a response to what I wrote. If your point is
                              > > that
                              > > > the customer needs to be the one driving the scenarios then you are
                              > > > preaching to the choir. Although, I would never email them the
                              > > scenarios. I
                              > > > would insist on a face-to-face conversation.
                              > > >
                              > > > I would never use Cucumber to write tests for myself or my fellow
                              > > > programmers. I would use something like RSpec or xUnit for that.
                              > Cucumber
                              > > > is for facilitating conversations with customers. If the customer is
                              > not
                              > > > involved then it is the wrong tool (And quite likely the wrong
                              > project.)
                              > >
                              > > I would. Sometimes I need to facilitate the conversation with myself. I
                              > > find that expressing the business problem in "english" is often better
                              > > for that than expressing it in code.
                              > >

                              > Both are valid choices, and I have a lot of other friends who would do that
                              > too. I am a bit weary of Cucumber for at least three reasons: 1) it adds
                              > additional complexity to my test suite, 2) as the system grows in
                              > complexity step definitions can collide and this takes additional effort to
                              > resolve, 3) there is no guarantee that step definitions actually mean what
                              > the english they are matching to suggests they mean and this takes
                              > additional effort to ensure.
                              >
                              > I am willing to accept the extra work implied by those issues if my
                              > customer is willing to invest effort helping to write and maintain the
                              > Gherkin. If they aren't then I will just avoid them by using a tool that is
                              > closer to the code. RSpec is pretty darn close to english, and I can get
                              > pretty close with xUnit as well (with a few exceptions, depending on the
                              > specific tool.)
                              >

                              > > If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting the
                              > > Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)
                              > >

                              > Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am not
                              > going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in the
                              > development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just to
                              > write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and there
                              > are several levels in between.

                              And there are many customers who will delegate the details of writing and
                              maintaining Gherkin to non-programmer intermediaries like BAs or Testers.
                              As long as the customer and those intermediaries are active participants in
                              the project, especially in the conversation about each story, that can work
                              fine. Leveraging a language that non-programmers can read helps align
                              everybody's understanding.

                              SteveG

                            • Adam Sroka
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                                On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...>wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM, George Dinwiddie
                                > > <lists@...>wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > If the Customer is not involved, that's a different problem. Getting
                                > the
                                > > > Customer involved may take more than just a BDD/ATDD tool. ;-)
                                > > >

                                > > Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am not
                                > > going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in
                                > the
                                > > development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just
                                > > write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and
                                > there
                                > > are several levels in between.
                                > >

                                > And there are many customers who will delegate the details of writing and
                                > maintaining Gherkin to non-programmer intermediaries like BAs or Testers.
                                > As long as the customer and those intermediaries are active participants in
                                > the project, especially in the conversation about each story, that can work
                                > fine. Leveraging a language that non-programmers can read helps align
                                > everybody's understanding.

                                Sure, as long as the BAs and/or testers are part of a whole team and not a
                                distinct group that is physically separate.

                                It is possible to teach testers to write and maintain Gherkin. I have done
                                it. It is also possible to train BAs to act as effective customer proxies.
                                Neither is as good as the active participation of an actual onsite
                                customer, though.

                              • Adam Sroka
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 23, 2013
                                  P.S. and, as you suggest, if both the BA/tester and the customer are active
                                  participants then that is even better, because BAs and testers bring skills
                                  to writing the Gherkin that the customer may not have

                                  On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                                  > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...>wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> **
                                  >>

                                  >> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                                  >> the
                                  >> > >

                                  >> > Absolutely, and regardless of whether I am using Cucumber or not I am
                                  >> not
                                  >> > going to take money from a customer who isn't willing to be engaged in
                                  >> the
                                  >> > development of their product. Some customers need their hands held just
                                  >> > write stories, others are willing to learn and maintain Gherkin, and
                                  >> there
                                  >> > are several levels in between.
                                  >> >

                                  >> And there are many customers who will delegate the details of writing and
                                  >> maintaining Gherkin to non-programmer intermediaries like BAs or Testers.
                                  >> As long as the customer and those intermediaries are active participants
                                  >> in
                                  >> the project, especially in the conversation about each story, that can
                                  >> work
                                  >> fine. Leveraging a language that non-programmers can read helps align
                                  >> everybody's understanding.
                                  >>

                                  > Sure, as long as the BAs and/or testers are part of a whole team and not a
                                  > distinct group that is physically separate.
                                  >
                                  > It is possible to teach testers to write and maintain Gherkin. I have done
                                  > it. It is also possible to train BAs to act as effective customer proxies.
                                  > Neither is as good as the active participation of an actual onsite
                                  > customer, though.

                                • JackM
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
                                    Thanks Ron,