Re: [XP] Rise & Fall of Design Patterns:Lessons to learn?

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 21, 2013
      A really good example of a pattern-based approach to agile practices can be
      found at http://www.aptprocess.com/whitepapers/risk/RiskToPatternTable.htm

      However, that fact that it is oldish and never gained much favor or
      visibility (as far as I know) does support your implication that the
      patterns movement has fallen out of favor.

      SteveG

      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Agustin Villena
      <agustin.villena@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi all!
      >
      > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
      > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
      > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I�m looking for
      > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
      >
      > My questions are.
      > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design patterns
      > movement?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Agustin Villena
      > @agustinvillena
      >
      > PD: I�m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
      > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the plateau
      > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they deserve.

    • Agustin Villena
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 23, 2013
        Hi Steven

        Good link!
        My question is about the root cause that explain why this approaches didn't
        get traction.

        The current ways to document agile methods (e.g. The Scrum Guide) IMHO
        leads to cargo cult, since they hide the context where the practices are
        appropriate.

        If design patterns don't work, we need a similar way.

        Best Regards
        Agustín
        El jul 22, 2013 1:37 AM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

        > A really good example of a pattern-based approach to agile practices can be
        > found at http://www.aptprocess.com/whitepapers/risk/RiskToPatternTable.htm
        >
        > However, that fact that it is oldish and never gained much favor or
        > visibility (as far as I know) does support your implication that the
        > patterns movement has fallen out of favor.
        >
        > SteveG
        >
        > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Agustin Villena
        > <agustin.villena@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi all!
        > >
        > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
        > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
        > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking for
        > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
        > >
        > > My questions are.
        > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design patterns
        > > movement?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Agustin Villena
        > > @agustinvillena
        > >
        > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
        > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the plateau
        > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they deserve.

      • Michal Svoboda
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 23, 2013
          Agustin Villena wrote:
          > My question is about the root cause that explain why this approaches didn't
          > get traction.

          Not sure if you are talking about the GOF patterns? But generally my
          reply applies to any "patterns" --

          Patterns are your basic algebra not your silver bullet. (Believe the
          same sentence is in the GOF book.) Patterns are not lego bricks but
          teach problem avoidance through tradeoffs and mindsets. As far as I am
          concerned, patterns have plenty traction and are far from the Fall.

          As I said the same applies to the GOF patterns, messaging patterns, and
          so forth, finally even to the XP practices.

          Michal Svoboda
        • Filipe Correia
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 23, 2013
            Hello Agustin and all,

            You may want to check out this (fairly recent) initiative to document Scrum
            as a pattern language:
            https://sites.google.com/a/scrumplop.org/published-patterns/home

            Cheers,
            Filipe

          • Adam Sroka
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 23, 2013
              I have stayed quiet on this one so far, but my opinion is this:

              The original GoF patterns are useful to learn, even though many of them are
              solving limitations in the language rather than actual problems in the
              domain of your product.

              A few of my mentors were very active in the patterns community in the early
              days, and one of the things I learned from them is that it is more about
              the strategies you use to refactor towards a comprehensible design than the
              patterns per se. Named patterns are about communication. The most useful
              patterns are specific to the domain and/or technology we are working with.
              Generic patterns are useful for understanding solutions to limitations in
              our tools and techniques. Strategies cut across both.

              There are a number of GoF patterns that I use all the time. Sometimes that
              is because the languages/frameworks I use make use of them and I don't want
              to cut across the grain. Sometimes it is because I need them to isolate
              myself from limitations in the language/framework so that I can focus on
              domain specific language. In either case it is the domain language and the
              way that I translate that into my implementation language that are most
              important. If I understand that and can communicate effectively in my code
              then the patterns themselves are mostly academic.

              On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Michal Svoboda <pht@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Agustin Villena wrote:
              > > My question is about the root cause that explain why this approaches
              > didn't
              > > get traction.
              >
              > Not sure if you are talking about the GOF patterns? But generally my
              > reply applies to any "patterns" --
              >
              > Patterns are your basic algebra not your silver bullet. (Believe the
              > same sentence is in the GOF book.) Patterns are not lego bricks but
              > teach problem avoidance through tradeoffs and mindsets. As far as I am
              > concerned, patterns have plenty traction and are far from the Fall.
              >
              > As I said the same applies to the GOF patterns, messaging patterns, and
              > so forth, finally even to the XP practices.
              >
              > Michal Svoboda

            • Filipe Correia
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 23, 2013
                I would consider it indicative that the patterns community is still
                very active in documenting agile practices! :-)

                The "design patterns" buzzword might not be as hyped as it once was,
                but more patterns are being documented every year. Some explicitly as
                such (see the xPLoP conferences --- PLoP, EuroPLoP, AsianPLoP,
                VikingPLoP, SugarLoafPLoP, etc), others not as explicitly but still
                very successfully (books like "Domain-Driven Design" make extensive
                use of patterns).

                So, coming back to your question, I wouldn't say design patterns have
                "fallen". They just entered the mainstream.

                Filipe

              • Sean Corfield
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                  On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                  > The original GoF patterns are useful to learn, even though many of them are
                  > solving limitations in the language rather than actual problems in the
                  > domain of your product.

                  Indeed. If you work primarily in FP languages, rather than OOP
                  languages, several of those "patterns" are either built into the
                  language or are simply irrelevant. A few of them apply as-is, some
                  apply in a different form.

                  I remember when the GoF book came out and it was quite revolutionary
                  at the time ('94, as I recall?) - the OOP world was evolving very
                  rapidly back then (late 80's thru mid-90's) and there were a lot of
                  exciting things happening, interesting conferences and technical
                  papers, ground-breaking books, etc. In the decades since, that's all
                  become just part of the accepted canon of OOP wisdom and we talk about
                  it a lot less.

                  As we see the resurgence of FP, it will be interesting to see if we
                  get a similar spike of excitement and new material. I suspect we won't
                  because FP has been around for so long in the background, although we
                  are seeing interesting conferences focusing on FP (The Strange Loop is
                  fairly heavily FP-focused, Lambda Jam recently was a great FP-focused
                  cross-language event). We have a whole generation of OOP developers
                  who will have to unlearn a lot of "bad habits" and learn a whole new
                  way of thinking - ironically the previous generation take to FP more
                  easily, in my experience, because they knew other styles of
                  programming before OOP!

                  After the initial fuss around Design Patterns died down, the Patterns
                  community moved on to codify and categorize patterns in process in a
                  (mostly) technology-neutral way and that seems to be an area that
                  never got as much interest from the broader software development
                  community as it deserved. Nice to see some mention of that aspect of
                  patterns in this thread.
                  --
                  Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

                  "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
                • Agustin Villena
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                    Thank you all for the great feedback

                    Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                    point), but that was not my point.

                    My real question is:

                    If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                    which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
                    the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

                    Saludos
                    Agustín

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                      The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
                      pattern conferences.

                      For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
                      Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
                      primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
                      leverages patterns.

                      Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
                      successes.

                      SteveG

                      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <agustin.villena@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                        Steve
                        Good points!
                        Thanks
                        Agustín
                        El jul 24, 2013 3:06 PM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

                        > The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
                        > pattern conferences.
                        >
                        > For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
                        > Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
                        > primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
                        > leverages patterns.
                        >
                        > Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
                        > successes.
                        >
                        > SteveG
                        >
                        > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <
                        > agustin.villena@...
                        > > wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Thank you all for the great feedback
                        > >
                        > > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                        > > point), but that was not my point.
                        > >
                        > > My real question is:
                        > >
                        > > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                        > > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid?
                        > (for
                        > > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)
                        > >
                        > > Saludos
                        > > Agustín
                        > > El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
                        > > escribió:
                        > >
                        > > > Hi all!
                        > > >
                        > > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
                        > > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
                        > > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking
                        > for
                        > > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
                        > > >
                        > > > My questions are.
                        > > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design
                        > patterns
                        > > > movement?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks
                        > > > Agustin Villena
                        > > > @agustinvillena
                        > > >
                        > > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
                        > > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the
                        > plateau
                        > > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they
                        > deserve.

                      • George Dinwiddie
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                          Agustín,

                          On 7/24/13 2:53 PM, Agustin Villena wrote:
                          > Thank you all for the great feedback
                          >
                          > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                          > point), but that was not my point.
                          >
                          > My real question is:
                          >
                          > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                          > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
                          > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

                          I would be careful to make it clear that the patterns are not recipes,
                          and not "universally good," but responses to a context. And I would
                          illustrate each pattern in several contexts to show variations. Tell the
                          story, not just the skeleton of the pattern.

                          - George

                          --
                          Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013