Rise & Fall of Design Patterns:Lessons to learn?

  • Agustin Villena
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 21 6:50 PM
      Hi all!

      Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
      therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
      Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking for
      an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,

      My questions are.
      - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design patterns
      movement?

      Thanks
      Agustin Villena
      @agustinvillena

      PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
      hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the plateau
      of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they deserve.

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 21 10:34 PM
        A really good example of a pattern-based approach to agile practices can be
        found at http://www.aptprocess.com/whitepapers/risk/RiskToPatternTable.htm

        However, that fact that it is oldish and never gained much favor or
        visibility (as far as I know) does support your implication that the
        patterns movement has fallen out of favor.

        SteveG

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 23 5:41 AM
          Hi Steven

          Good link!
          My question is about the root cause that explain why this approaches didn't
          get traction.

          The current ways to document agile methods (e.g. The Scrum Guide) IMHO
          leads to cargo cult, since they hide the context where the practices are
          appropriate.

          If design patterns don't work, we need a similar way.

          Best Regards
          Agustín
          El jul 22, 2013 1:37 AM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

          > A really good example of a pattern-based approach to agile practices can be
          > found at http://www.aptprocess.com/whitepapers/risk/RiskToPatternTable.htm
          >
          > However, that fact that it is oldish and never gained much favor or
          > visibility (as far as I know) does support your implication that the
          > patterns movement has fallen out of favor.
          >
          > SteveG
          >
          > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Agustin Villena
          > <agustin.villena@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi all!
          > >
          > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
          > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
          > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking for
          > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
          > >
          > > My questions are.
          > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design patterns
          > > movement?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Agustin Villena
          > > @agustinvillena
          > >
          > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
          > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the plateau
          > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they deserve.

        • Michal Svoboda
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 23 11:10 AM
            Agustin Villena wrote:
            > My question is about the root cause that explain why this approaches didn't
            > get traction.

            Not sure if you are talking about the GOF patterns? But generally my
            reply applies to any "patterns" --

            Patterns are your basic algebra not your silver bullet. (Believe the
            same sentence is in the GOF book.) Patterns are not lego bricks but
            teach problem avoidance through tradeoffs and mindsets. As far as I am
            concerned, patterns have plenty traction and are far from the Fall.

            As I said the same applies to the GOF patterns, messaging patterns, and
            so forth, finally even to the XP practices.

            Michal Svoboda
          • Filipe Correia
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 23 11:38 AM
              Hello Agustin and all,

              You may want to check out this (fairly recent) initiative to document Scrum
              as a pattern language:
              https://sites.google.com/a/scrumplop.org/published-patterns/home

              Cheers,
              Filipe

            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 23 11:55 AM
                I have stayed quiet on this one so far, but my opinion is this:

                The original GoF patterns are useful to learn, even though many of them are
                solving limitations in the language rather than actual problems in the
                domain of your product.

                A few of my mentors were very active in the patterns community in the early
                days, and one of the things I learned from them is that it is more about
                the strategies you use to refactor towards a comprehensible design than the
                patterns per se. Named patterns are about communication. The most useful
                patterns are specific to the domain and/or technology we are working with.
                Generic patterns are useful for understanding solutions to limitations in
                our tools and techniques. Strategies cut across both.

                There are a number of GoF patterns that I use all the time. Sometimes that
                is because the languages/frameworks I use make use of them and I don't want
                to cut across the grain. Sometimes it is because I need them to isolate
                myself from limitations in the language/framework so that I can focus on
                domain specific language. In either case it is the domain language and the
                way that I translate that into my implementation language that are most
                important. If I understand that and can communicate effectively in my code
                then the patterns themselves are mostly academic.

                On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Michal Svoboda <pht@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Agustin Villena wrote:
                > > My question is about the root cause that explain why this approaches
                > didn't
                > > get traction.
                >
                > Not sure if you are talking about the GOF patterns? But generally my
                > reply applies to any "patterns" --
                >
                > Patterns are your basic algebra not your silver bullet. (Believe the
                > same sentence is in the GOF book.) Patterns are not lego bricks but
                > teach problem avoidance through tradeoffs and mindsets. As far as I am
                > concerned, patterns have plenty traction and are far from the Fall.
                >
                > As I said the same applies to the GOF patterns, messaging patterns, and
                > so forth, finally even to the XP practices.
                >
                > Michal Svoboda

              • Filipe Correia
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 23 4:58 PM
                  I would consider it indicative that the patterns community is still
                  very active in documenting agile practices! :-)

                  The "design patterns" buzzword might not be as hyped as it once was,
                  but more patterns are being documented every year. Some explicitly as
                  such (see the xPLoP conferences --- PLoP, EuroPLoP, AsianPLoP,
                  VikingPLoP, SugarLoafPLoP, etc), others not as explicitly but still
                  very successfully (books like "Domain-Driven Design" make extensive
                  use of patterns).

                  So, coming back to your question, I wouldn't say design patterns have
                  "fallen". They just entered the mainstream.

                  Filipe

                • Sean Corfield
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 24 9:48 AM
                    On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                    > The original GoF patterns are useful to learn, even though many of them are
                    > solving limitations in the language rather than actual problems in the
                    > domain of your product.

                    Indeed. If you work primarily in FP languages, rather than OOP
                    languages, several of those "patterns" are either built into the
                    language or are simply irrelevant. A few of them apply as-is, some
                    apply in a different form.

                    I remember when the GoF book came out and it was quite revolutionary
                    at the time ('94, as I recall?) - the OOP world was evolving very
                    rapidly back then (late 80's thru mid-90's) and there were a lot of
                    exciting things happening, interesting conferences and technical
                    papers, ground-breaking books, etc. In the decades since, that's all
                    become just part of the accepted canon of OOP wisdom and we talk about
                    it a lot less.

                    As we see the resurgence of FP, it will be interesting to see if we
                    get a similar spike of excitement and new material. I suspect we won't
                    because FP has been around for so long in the background, although we
                    are seeing interesting conferences focusing on FP (The Strange Loop is
                    fairly heavily FP-focused, Lambda Jam recently was a great FP-focused
                    cross-language event). We have a whole generation of OOP developers
                    who will have to unlearn a lot of "bad habits" and learn a whole new
                    way of thinking - ironically the previous generation take to FP more
                    easily, in my experience, because they knew other styles of
                    programming before OOP!

                    After the initial fuss around Design Patterns died down, the Patterns
                    community moved on to codify and categorize patterns in process in a
                    (mostly) technology-neutral way and that seems to be an area that
                    never got as much interest from the broader software development
                    community as it deserved. Nice to see some mention of that aspect of
                    patterns in this thread.
                    --
                    Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

                    "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
                  • Agustin Villena
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 24 11:53 AM
                      Thank you all for the great feedback

                      Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                      point), but that was not my point.

                      My real question is:

                      If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                      which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
                      the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

                      Saludos
                      Agustín

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 24 12:04 PM
                        The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
                        pattern conferences.

                        For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
                        Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
                        primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
                        leverages patterns.

                        Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
                        successes.

                        SteveG

                        On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <agustin.villena@...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 24 12:09 PM
                          Steve
                          Good points!
                          Thanks
                          Agustín
                          El jul 24, 2013 3:06 PM, "Steven Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> escribió:

                          > The biggest pitfall would be presenting it primarily to pattern mavens at
                          > pattern conferences.
                          >
                          > For such an effort to be successful, the primary audience must be active
                          > Agile practitioners (e.g., coaches, scrum masters, agile PMOs, ...) and the
                          > primary utility should be that it makes them more effective, not that it
                          > leverages patterns.
                          >
                          > Do not emphasize the pattern formalisms, at least until after some
                          > successes.
                          >
                          > SteveG
                          >
                          > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Agustin Villena <
                          > agustin.villena@...
                          > > wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > Thank you all for the great feedback
                          > >
                          > > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                          > > point), but that was not my point.
                          > >
                          > > My real question is:
                          > >
                          > > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                          > > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid?
                          > (for
                          > > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)
                          > >
                          > > Saludos
                          > > Agustín
                          > > El jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM, "Agustin Villena" <agustin.villena@...>
                          > > escribió:
                          > >
                          > > > Hi all!
                          > > >
                          > > > Design Patterns was one of the great sources of XP in its origins, and
                          > > > therefore of the agile movement, and I still found that creating Design
                          > > > Patterns is a very good form of organizing knowledge, and I´m looking
                          > for
                          > > > an approach to document agile practices as method patterns,
                          > > >
                          > > > My questions are.
                          > > > - Which are the great lessons from the Rise & fall of the Design
                          > patterns
                          > > > movement?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks
                          > > > Agustin Villena
                          > > > @agustinvillena
                          > > >
                          > > > PD: I´m aware that DP is not really dead, and, following the technology
                          > > > hype cycle curve maybe it have its time of hype and now is on the
                          > plateau
                          > > > of productivity, but in IMHO DP are less important now that they
                          > deserve.

                        • George Dinwiddie
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 24 6:42 PM
                            Agustín,

                            On 7/24/13 2:53 PM, Agustin Villena wrote:
                            > Thank you all for the great feedback
                            >
                            > Many answered questioning if Design Patterns has really fallen (a fair
                            > point), but that was not my point.
                            >
                            > My real question is:
                            >
                            > If we want to use Patterns to document and communicate Agile Practices,
                            > which pitfalls of the early Design Patterns movement we should avoid? (for
                            > the goal of being really relevant for agile practitioners)

                            I would be careful to make it clear that the patterns are not recipes,
                            and not "universally good," but responses to a context. And I would
                            illustrate each pattern in several contexts to show variations. Tell the
                            story, not just the skeleton of the pattern.

                            - George

                            --
                            Want to speak at AgileDC October 8, 2013? http://agiledc.org/speak/
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 24 6:51 PM