Re: [XP] XP for one?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15, 2013
      I don't like working alone. Sometimes I will even get a friend who knows
      nothing about programming to watch so that I can explain to them what I am
      doing and hopefully inspire them to ask questions.

      When that is not possible I go for frequent walks. I find that when I walk
      things that were stuck somewhere in my mind come into focus and I can make
      a quick note about them on my smartphone so that I don't forget to address
      them when I get back to my desk.

      Pro tip: find a safe place away from traffic and sit or stand still while
      you write the note ;-)

      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM, The Knightlore <warren1024@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi,
      > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.
      >
      > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering
      > whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?
      >
      > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to
      > get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair
      > programming?
      >
      > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair
      > programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my
      > shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Warren.

    • Michal Svoboda
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15, 2013
        Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was
        > > wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP
        > > without pair coding?
        >
        > Perhaps it's not important to be "doing XP". Perhaps it's important to
        > learn ways to do good things and to decide when and how to do them.

        I agree. To elaborate, XP is a toolbox, you don't need to use all the
        tools all the times. It's best to learn how the tools work, how they
        support each other and then how to apply them to your problem.

        If you work solo then you'll omit pair programming. It's definitely
        possible to do "good things" this way. You'll find another way to get
        the feedback that pairing would provide. For example, by having a
        critical look on your own code a couple weeks later. As for talking to
        someone you can try the Wilson trick from Cast Away.

        Michal Svoboda
      • Jeff Langr
        Message 3 of 12 , May 15, 2013
          Someone looking over your shouldn't isn't really pair programming. It
          doesn't help much. Pairing is instead two people actively collaborating on
          building a solution.

          Some benefits:
          http://pragprog.com/magazines/2011-07/pair-programming-benefits

          Jeff

          Langr Software Solutions, Inc.
          http://langrsoft.com
          Modern C++ Programming with TDD
          http://pragprog.com/book/lotdd/modern-c-programming-with-test-driven-development

          Agile in a Flash blog http://agileinaflash.com
          Agile in a Flash: A top 20 agile book!
          http://pragprog.com/book/olag/agile-in-a-flash

          On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM, The Knightlore <warren1024@...>wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.
          >
          > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering
          > whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?
          >
          > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to
          > get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair
          > programming?
          >
          > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair
          > programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my
          > shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Warren.

        • Jeff Langr
          Message 4 of 12 , May 15, 2013