XP for one?

  • The Knightlore
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15 9:40 AM
      Hi,
      I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.

      I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?

      Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair programming?

      I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?

      Thanks,
      Warren.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15 11:01 AM
        Hi Warren,

        On May 15, 2013, at 12:40 PM, "The Knightlore" <warren1024@...> wrote:

        > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.

        Good luck � take it for what it is, a book about how I undertake to learn something. What it isn't, is a good book to learn about C#.

        > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?

        Perhaps it's not important to be "doing XP". Perhaps it's important to learn ways to do good things and to decide when and how to do them.

        > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair programming?

        Anything is possible, but pairing is pretty intimate. Unless your voices speak frequently, I do not hold out much hope for one-person pairing.

        > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?

        You could learn to ask yourself questions. I find, though, that when I'm working alone, I get all engaged and forget to ask myself things. Or, if I do, I don't answer.

        It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
        -- Ronald Reagan

      • Adam Sroka
        Message 3 of 12 , May 15 11:16 AM
          I don't like working alone. Sometimes I will even get a friend who knows
          nothing about programming to watch so that I can explain to them what I am
          doing and hopefully inspire them to ask questions.

          When that is not possible I go for frequent walks. I find that when I walk
          things that were stuck somewhere in my mind come into focus and I can make
          a quick note about them on my smartphone so that I don't forget to address
          them when I get back to my desk.

          Pro tip: find a safe place away from traffic and sit or stand still while
          you write the note ;-)

          On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM, The Knightlore <warren1024@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi,
          > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.
          >
          > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering
          > whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?
          >
          > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to
          > get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair
          > programming?
          >
          > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair
          > programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my
          > shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Warren.

        • Michal Svoboda
          Message 4 of 12 , May 15 12:08 PM
            Ron Jeffries wrote:
            > > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was
            > > wondering whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP
            > > without pair coding?
            >
            > Perhaps it's not important to be "doing XP". Perhaps it's important to
            > learn ways to do good things and to decide when and how to do them.

            I agree. To elaborate, XP is a toolbox, you don't need to use all the
            tools all the times. It's best to learn how the tools work, how they
            support each other and then how to apply them to your problem.

            If you work solo then you'll omit pair programming. It's definitely
            possible to do "good things" this way. You'll find another way to get
            the feedback that pairing would provide. For example, by having a
            critical look on your own code a couple weeks later. As for talking to
            someone you can try the Wilson trick from Cast Away.

            Michal Svoboda
          • Jeff Langr
            Message 5 of 12 , May 15 12:11 PM
              Someone looking over your shouldn't isn't really pair programming. It
              doesn't help much. Pairing is instead two people actively collaborating on
              building a solution.

              Some benefits:
              http://pragprog.com/magazines/2011-07/pair-programming-benefits

              Jeff

              Langr Software Solutions, Inc.
              http://langrsoft.com
              Modern C++ Programming with TDD
              http://pragprog.com/book/lotdd/modern-c-programming-with-test-driven-development

              Agile in a Flash blog http://agileinaflash.com
              Agile in a Flash: A top 20 agile book!
              http://pragprog.com/book/olag/agile-in-a-flash

              On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM, The Knightlore <warren1024@...>wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I've just started Ron's book Extreme Programming Adventures in C#.
              >
              > I really like the idea of XP but being a lone developer, I was wondering
              > whether or not you could still be deemed to be doing XP without pair coding?
              >
              > Perhaps I could embrace my split personality, the side of me that wants to
              > get things done and my annoying perfectionist, to help imitate the pair
              > programming?
              >
              > I suppose I'm missing the point of the advantages gained from pair
              > programming, but if I bare in mind, that someone should be looking over my
              > shoulder and vice versa, could I achieve some of that benefit?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Warren.

            • Jeff Langr
              Message 6 of 12 , May 15 12:11 PM