RE: Code review practices

  • Vlietstra, Joe (ES)
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
      On 26 April 2013 23:33, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <charles@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I'm trying to come up with a list of different ways of doing code
      > reviews as they relate to a Scrum definition of done.
      >
      > In practice, I've seen:

      We use some form of code inspection (ala Fagan) almost exclusively.
      In theory, this makes defining "done" easy -- the inspection is
      done when the moderator verifies that the rework is complete.
      In practice, there are four different events that may be called
      "done":
      1. Developer completes code and sets up inspection
      2. Inspection (logging) meeting (possibly virtual) itself
      3. Developer fixes any issues identified from inspection
      4. Moderator verifies fixes
      Which event counts as "done" depends on the purpose. For example,
      when the developer completes code, he or she is available to pick
      up the next open task; so event 1 is "done" when working resource
      scheduling. At the other extreme, we use all 4 events (weighted
      80%, 10%, 0%, and 10%, resp.) when determining earned value (EV).

      Joe Vlietstra
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2013
        > 4. Moderator verifies fixes

        I "love" it when people who don't need to help you actually finish
        features get to patrol their territory by reviewing your code changes,
        and gating them. Blatant fail of the guideline we should unite
        authority and responsibility!

        --
        Phlip
        http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand