Re: [XP] Developer Stories

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20 1:33 AM
      --- Rafael Fuchs <rafaelfuchs@...> wrote:
      > I just read this article about this subject.
      >
      > It has sometips related to hadling technical debt and
      > how to fit into user stories.
      >
      > http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/03/user-stories-technical-debt

      Perhaps it would be helpful to ask questions like this:

      Would anyone outside the development team care if the system is more or less maintainable in the near future? Would the people who will have to pay for it be interested? Would people who have to use it and would be denied features they need due to maintenance costs be interested?

      Would anyone outside the development team care if the system is reliable? Would any of the people who use it like the system to reliably produce the expected results, in both the short and long term?

      Sure, it's easy and common for <someone> to blame the developers (or the DBA, or operations, etc.) when something goes bad. But that does imply that "<someone>" cares. So it must impact them in some negative way.
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20 7:51 AM
        Adam Sroka :

        Team members helping to write stories, yes.
        Technical team members contributing stories that the customer cannot fully
        comprehend or prioritize, no.

        JeffGrigg wrote:

        > It's nearly always good for developers to *suggest* stories that could be done. This is a human venture. We benefit from getting as many good ideas out there as possible. And the developers will have a good idea of what is possible and easy -- and which may provide value.
        >
        > But the Customer determines the priorities. So your brilliant idea might be prioritized to "yes, let's do it now" or "no, let's do it 'never.'"

        There are also Motherhood Stories. These can accrete, if nobody was
        prescient enough to declare one up front...