Re: [XP] Developer Stories

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
      Absolutely the whole team can contribute to the creation of good stories.
      However, given the additional context in the original post I don't think
      that was the question. Team members helping to write stories, yes.
      Technical team members contributing stories that the customer cannot fully
      comprehend or prioritize, no.

      On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > >> Am I wrong, or is it generally bad for developers to put their own
      > > stories into the Planning Game? This gets more complicated if there is a
      > > legacy/technical debt.
      > >
      > > You are right.
      >
      > Unfortunately for the process, I'm sometimes better than my clients
      > and customers at thinking of a new feature.
      >
      > XP: No, never add a feature story to the system. Real life: Yes; show
      > leadership.

    • JeffGrigg
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013

        --- Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
        > Unfortunately for the process, I'm sometimes better than my
        > clients and customers at thinking of a new feature.
        >
        > XP: No, never add a feature story to the system.
        > Real life: Yes; show leadership.

        It's nearly always good for developers to *suggest* stories that could be done. This is a human venture. We benefit from getting as many good ideas out there as possible. And the developers will have a good idea of what is possible and easy -- and which may provide value.

        But the Customer determines the priorities. So your brilliant idea might be prioritized to "yes, let's do it now" or "no, let's do it 'never.'"
      • JeffGrigg
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
          --- Rafael Fuchs <rafaelfuchs@...> wrote:
          > I just read this article about this subject.
          >
          > It has sometips related to hadling technical debt and
          > how to fit into user stories.
          >
          > http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/03/user-stories-technical-debt

          Perhaps it would be helpful to ask questions like this:

          Would anyone outside the development team care if the system is more or less maintainable in the near future? Would the people who will have to pay for it be interested? Would people who have to use it and would be denied features they need due to maintenance costs be interested?

          Would anyone outside the development team care if the system is reliable? Would any of the people who use it like the system to reliably produce the expected results, in both the short and long term?

          Sure, it's easy and common for <someone> to blame the developers (or the DBA, or operations, etc.) when something goes bad. But that does imply that "<someone>" cares. So it must impact them in some negative way.
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
            Adam Sroka :

            JeffGrigg wrote:

            > It's nearly always good for developers to *suggest* stories that could be done. This is a human venture. We benefit from getting as many good ideas out there as possible. And the developers will have a good idea of what is possible and easy -- and which may provide value.
            >
            > But the Customer determines the priorities. So your brilliant idea might be prioritized to "yes, let's do it now" or "no, let's do it 'never.'"

            There are also Motherhood Stories. These can accrete, if nobody was
            prescient enough to declare one up front...