Re: [XP] Architecture backlog

  • Adam Dymitruk
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2013
      You can't agile away architectural decisions. Domain Driven Design gives us
      some headlights to follow, as do concepts such as CQRS. What we know up
      front is SLAs for certain actions the user is going to take - at least what
      they tell us they are.

      Ignoring these concepts can lead into a nice design that falls out of TDD,
      but fails under load. These are requirements, but they are non-functional
      requirements where stories feel like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

      So far, DDD has managed to keep iterating over non-functional requirements
      not too expensive. And concepts like CQRS and event sourcing can help
      refactor mid way through and replay events into an alternate set of domain
      objects.

      The backlog is easy to determine once you set up a strategy. One that works
      for me is DDD/CQRS/ES in whole or part.

      My $0.02

      Adam

      --
      Dymitruk.com
      On 2013-04-15 9:25 AM, "JackM" <jack@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Perhaps, I am misunderstanding you but i am having difficulty
      > understanding why identifying high level what you are trying to accomplish
      > in a release is BDUF.
      >
      > We have extremely large customers with long sales cycles and our pipeline
      > is generally aligned with what our customers long term needs are.
      >
      > It's important for us to understand what's coming so that we are prepared.
      > Identifying risks upfront has been extremely helpful. We're talking one to
      > two quarters out at the epic level.
      >
      > My understanding is that planning to the horizons is common practice ...
      > i.e. sprint horizon, requires 2 sprints worth of well understood well
      > ranked stories. At the quarterly horizon prob a good idea that the teams
      > have a good handle on what epics are on the horizon etc.
      >
      > Thanks
      > jack
      > agilebuddy.com
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, <steveropa@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Considering the calendar, I was going to say like “taxes†...
      > >

      > > I’m struggling with how many people are finding ways to use what they
      > feel are Agile terms in order to bring us back to BDUF and waterfall. And
      > there are a lot of people I really like and respect who are following that
      > will-o-the-wisp. Whenever I start to say “don’t do that†I start to
      > feel like I’m coming across as the grumpy old man. Any suggestions as to
      > a gentle way to say “this hasn’t worked yet, why do you think this time
      > will be different?†when it comes to following that path?
      > >

      > > Steve

    • Michal Svoboda
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2013
        steveropa@... wrote:
        > I’m struggling with how many people are finding ways to use what they
        > feel are Agile terms in order to bring us back to BDUF and waterfall.

        Interesting thread. Why do you think epics are bringing us back to BDUF?

        Michal Svoboda
      • Leonardo Postacchini
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 17, 2013
          By increasing real sprint size(time in between deliverables regardless what
          you tagged as the sprint) for example. Look back at this thread: planning
          ahead, looking to the horizon, making architetural decisions up front, big
          client having big needs being served by long deliveries.

          All of it sounds and smells like waterfall.