Re: [XP] Overview of software engineering methods makes some controversial conclusions

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 30, 2013
      On Mar 30, 2013 12:35 AM, "JeffGrigg" <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:

      > --- Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:
      > > * Pair programming does not double the cost. All the surveys
      > > show that pairs complete in about half the time as individuals,
      > > and that pairs tend to outperform their best members.
      >
      > I have observed that pair programming, done badly, doubles cost with no
      obvious benefits.

      2x assumes that if the pair were broken up they would both be as productive
      as the one is when the other is "watching." In my experience, when you
      break up the pair they each spend twice as much time on facebook...

      I think the typical case is that the attention of the pair prevents a lot
      of waste, and the worst case is that the partner not paying attention is at
      least prevented from being elsewhere doing harm.

    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 30, 2013
        > From: JeffGrigg <jeffreytoddgrigg@...>

        > I have observed that pair programming, done badly, doubles cost with no obvious benefits.

        > But done well, it starts with at least doubling the speed of the better
        > member. And it gets better from there. Motivating and empowering smart
        > people can have large effects.

        All good and well, I suppose, but my biggest complaint with the article was that (regardless of how well written or how many numbers) it makes no sense.

        It's like comparing if it's better to drive using a steering wheel, or on the highway. At some point you have to wonder what was he was smoking.

        Tim Ottinger <tottinge@...>
        http://industriallogic.com/
        http://agileotter.blogspot.com/