Re: [XP] Hubflow? More like Hubflown't

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 8:22 AM
      Thierry,

      On 2/28/13 7:18 PM, thierry henrio wrote:
      > Hello George
      >
      > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM, George Dinwiddie
      > <lists@...>wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Ryan,
      >>
      >> I don't have much to add to your excellent list, below. I did happen
      >> across "Feature Branches vs Feature Toggles"
      >> (http://geekswithblogs.net/Optikal/archive/2013/02/10/152069.aspx)
      >> recently and you might find some more tidbits in it.
      >>
      > Good pointer indeed, and a question
      >
      > Why is there a "candidate branch" ?

      It's not my article, so I can't answer for the author. I suspect that's
      to "freeze the code" for release while others continue to develop
      unimpeded. With git that's an easy thing to do.

      A decade ago I would tag the head in SVN for a release candidate. If a
      problem showed up with that build (very rare) then I would fix it and
      repeat with the current head. I didn't use branches.

      > Why not master ?
      > Because it's easier to undo or because of different policies ( candidate
      > can fail ) ?
      >
      > A very simple workflow is indeed "short lived" : pick something small,
      > branch from master, commit as often, merge to master with some squash if
      > required, push
      >
      > What does matter finally is how we are comfortable with our history ?,
      > Thierry

      - George