Re: [XP] Hubflow? More like Hubflown't

  • thierry henrio
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
      Hello George

      On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Ryan,
      >
      > I don't have much to add to your excellent list, below. I did happen
      > across "Feature Branches vs Feature Toggles"
      > (http://geekswithblogs.net/Optikal/archive/2013/02/10/152069.aspx)
      > recently and you might find some more tidbits in it.

      Good pointer indeed, and a question

      Why is there a "candidate branch" ?

      Why not master ?
      Because it's easier to undo or because of different policies ( candidate
      can fail ) ?

      A very simple workflow is indeed "short lived" : pick something small,
      branch from master, commit as often, merge to master with some squash if
      required, push

      What does matter finally is how we are comfortable with our history ?,
      Thierry

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
        Thierry,

        On 2/28/13 7:18 PM, thierry henrio wrote:
        > Hello George
        >
        > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM, George Dinwiddie
        > <lists@...>wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> Ryan,
        >>
        >> I don't have much to add to your excellent list, below. I did happen
        >> across "Feature Branches vs Feature Toggles"
        >> (http://geekswithblogs.net/Optikal/archive/2013/02/10/152069.aspx)
        >> recently and you might find some more tidbits in it.
        >>
        > Good pointer indeed, and a question
        >
        > Why is there a "candidate branch" ?

        It's not my article, so I can't answer for the author. I suspect that's
        to "freeze the code" for release while others continue to develop
        unimpeded. With git that's an easy thing to do.

        A decade ago I would tag the head in SVN for a release candidate. If a
        problem showed up with that build (very rare) then I would fix it and
        repeat with the current head. I didn't use branches.

        > Why not master ?
        > Because it's easier to undo or because of different policies ( candidate
        > can fail ) ?
        >
        > A very simple workflow is indeed "short lived" : pick something small,
        > branch from master, commit as often, merge to master with some squash if
        > required, push
        >
        > What does matter finally is how we are comfortable with our history ?,
        > Thierry

        - George