Re: [XP] Benefits of automated builds and continuous integration

  • Limbu
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
      Hi Adam,

      I am interested, how to write faster test in any programming language such as Java, C#, PHP etc. Can you recommend some resources please ?

      Thank you

      Regards and Metta,
      Bhagi

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:

      > What language(s) are you working in?
      >

      > On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM, JackM wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi Adam,
      > >
      > > I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write
      > > faster tests.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > jack
      > >

      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:
      > > >
      > > > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
      > > > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
      > > > would not let you either.
      > > >
      > > > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
      > > > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right
      > > back
      > > > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix
      > > it.
      > > >
      > > > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that
      > > is
      > > > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
      > > > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.

      > > the

      > > doing

      > > 3

    • Steve Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
        Write your tests without tight coupling to external dependencies. File
        systems, databases, etc. all make tests slow. I have a number of articles
        on this topic here:
        http://ardalis.com/avoid-entrenched-dependencies

        Steve

        Steve Smith