Re: Experiment on size of unit of work - how low can you go? Intermediate Report

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
      So I announced this experiment...

      On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM, John Carter <john.carter@...> wrote:

      > First, a thought experiment.
      > Traditionally a "feature" was the unit of work to be planned, created,
      > integrated and tested.
      > As we became more agile we broke these units of planning, creation and
      > test, and integration into smaller and smaller chunks...
      > Question: How small can I go?
      > What if I designed my efforts, from planning, to test, to creation, to
      > integration, to documentation, to pushed, done and dusted to _all_ be The
      > Smallest Change that will provably not break anything?
      > How small can that go?
      > So my experiment for the next month or so...
      > Can I break _everything_ I do down to "smaller than a work day" from plan,
      > to test, to work done and documented, to pushed done and dusted to
      > repository?
      > By "done and dusted" I mean if I forgot, died, or went on to something
      > else... whatever I did could remain unchanged within the code base without
      > detriment, and preferable with benefit, to the customer.

      Here's a 20th day intermediate report.

      Answer: This is an absolute success. This looks to be the "The Way I Work"
      in future.

      Starting with a clean check out

      - to test written,
      - code written to point "if I die tonight, it won't hurt to leave that
      code as is" state,
      - tested,
      - pushed to repository, either pair programmed or the changeset dropped
      onto to reviewboard http://www.reviewboard.org/ for a colleague to

      all within at most a day.

      Most of the review comments come back, are on the lines "The change is too
      simple for anything to go wrong"

      That's ok with me, that's what I want.

      Only one down side....

      In the Bad Old days of "John dropped a massive changeset on us again, any
      breakage must his" left me an the ardious task.

      The task of teasing out those cases where

      - I broke it, (some),
      - those cases where I had exposed pre-existing errors (most),
      - and those cases where it was somebody elses checkin,
      - and those cases where it's a testware failure.

      Now in the new style of lots of tiny changesets.....

      Testware with a 1 in 20 testware failure rate is OK..... unless you have
      spammed it with 20 changesets.

      New ardious task... examining testware logs and explaining to people why
      it's a testware error.

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand

      This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
      It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
      or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
      If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
      distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
      If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
      immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
      Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
      corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
      attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
      damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
      recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
      opening any attachments.