Re: [XP] Benefits of automated builds and continuous integration

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
      What language(s) are you working in?

      On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Adam,
      >
      > I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write
      > faster tests.
      >
      > Thanks
      > jack
      >

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:
      > >
      > > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
      > > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
      > > would not let you either.
      > >
      > > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
      > > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right
      > back
      > > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix
      > it.
      > >
      > > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that
      > is
      > > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
      > > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.
      > >

      > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM, JackM wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Can anyone point me to some real numbers on the benefits of automating
      > the
      > > > builds and continuous integration.
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps there's a good white paper on this topic.
      > > >
      > > > I don't need to be convinced, but trying to make a case to our VP on
      > doing
      > > > this first rather than working on new features.
      > > >
      > > > We do have automated builds but the unit tests take forever to run and
      > > > often times the build fails due to unit test failures.
      > > >
      > > > We want to make a substantial effort to get to builds in 12 hours from
      > 3
      > > > or 4 days.
      > > >
      > > > Just hard to quantify the benefits.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > jack

    • Limbu
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
        Hi Adam,

        I am interested, how to write faster test in any programming language such as Java, C#, PHP etc. Can you recommend some resources please ?

        Thank you

        Regards and Metta,
        Bhagi

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:

        > What language(s) are you working in?
        >

        > On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM, JackM wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi Adam,
        > >
        > > I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write
        > > faster tests.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > jack
        > >

        > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:
        > > >
        > > > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
        > > > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
        > > > would not let you either.
        > > >
        > > > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
        > > > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right
        > > back
        > > > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix
        > > it.
        > > >
        > > > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that
        > > is
        > > > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
        > > > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.

        > > the

        > > doing

        > > 3

      • Steve Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
          Write your tests without tight coupling to external dependencies. File
          systems, databases, etc. all make tests slow. I have a number of articles
          on this topic here:
          http://ardalis.com/avoid-entrenched-dependencies

          Steve

          Steve Smith