Re: [XP] Benefits of automated builds and continuous integration

  • JackM
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
      Hi Adam,

      I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write faster tests.

      Thanks
      jack

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:

      > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
      > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
      > would not let you either.
      >
      > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
      > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right back
      > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix it.
      >
      > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that is
      > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
      > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.
      >

      > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM, JackM wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Can anyone point me to some real numbers on the benefits of automating the
      > > builds and continuous integration.
      > >
      > > Perhaps there's a good white paper on this topic.
      > >
      > > I don't need to be convinced, but trying to make a case to our VP on doing
      > > this first rather than working on new features.
      > >
      > > We do have automated builds but the unit tests take forever to run and
      > > often times the build fails due to unit test failures.
      > >
      > > We want to make a substantial effort to get to builds in 12 hours from 3
      > > or 4 days.
      > >
      > > Just hard to quantify the benefits.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > jack

    • M. Manca
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
        Il 29/01/2013 02:44, Charlie Poole ha scritto:
        > Hi Jack,
        >
        > I realize this answer will be of approximately zero help to you, but
        > somebody ought
        > to say it...
        >
        > If it takes permission from a VP to tune your team's process, you've just
        > identified
        > the biggest problem you have. :-)
        I agree.

        > Charlie
        >

        > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> Can anyone point me to some real numbers on the benefits of automating the
        >> builds and continuous integration.
        >>
        >> Perhaps there's a good white paper on this topic.
        >>
        >> I don't need to be convinced, but trying to make a case to our VP on doing
        >> this first rather than working on new features.
        >>
        >> We do have automated builds but the unit tests take forever to run and
        >> often times the build fails due to unit test failures.
        >>
        >> We want to make a substantial effort to get to builds in 12 hours from 3
        >> or 4 days.
        >>
        >> Just hard to quantify the benefits.
        >>
        >> Thanks
        >> jack

      • M. Manca
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
          Il 29/01/2013 03:48, Adam Sroka ha scritto:
          > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
          > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
          > would not let you either.
          >
          > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
          > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right back
          > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix it.
          >
          > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that is
          > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
          > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.
          I think this could be useful in general not only in this particular case
          so in my opinion if you may post something about will be appreciated.

          > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Can anyone point me to some real numbers on the benefits of automating the
          >> builds and continuous integration.
          >>
          >> Perhaps there's a good white paper on this topic.
          >>
          >> I don't need to be convinced, but trying to make a case to our VP on doing
          >> this first rather than working on new features.
          >>
          >> We do have automated builds but the unit tests take forever to run and
          >> often times the build fails due to unit test failures.
          >>
          >> We want to make a substantial effort to get to builds in 12 hours from 3
          >> or 4 days.
          >>
          >> Just hard to quantify the benefits.
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >> jack

        • Steven Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
            The single biggest reason for tests to be slow is that they are using too
            much infrastructure. Make sure you are decoupling your systems and are
            able to test them as small units, without a database, file system, or other
            dependencies involved. True unit tests (some call these micro tests)
            should be able to run on the order of 1000 per second. If you have so many
            tests of this kind that your build is taking hours, then you must have some
            amazing test coverage or a truly massive application.

            Also, it's not a bad idea to separate fast tests from slow tests. In my
            projects, this usually looks like "Unit Tests" and "Integration Tests",
            with the latter testing things like round-tripping to a database, etc. You
            should have lots more of the former than the latter tests, but of course
            the latter ones are also valuable.

            In terms of resources, I have some articles on my blog about dependencies
            and how to avoid them (ardalis.com). Also there is some great content on
            testing, and many other things, at Pluralsight.com. For books, Feathers'
            Working Effectively With Legacy Code is great for this, too.

            Steve

            On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Adam,
            >
            > I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write
            > faster tests.
            >
            > Thanks
            > jack
            >

            > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:
            > >
            > > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
            > > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
            > > would not let you either.
            > >
            > > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
            > > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right
            > back
            > > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix
            > it.
            > >
            > > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that
            > is
            > > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
            > > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.
            > >

            > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM, JackM wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > Can anyone point me to some real numbers on the benefits of automating
            > the
            > > > builds and continuous integration.
            > > >
            > > > Perhaps there's a good white paper on this topic.
            > > >
            > > > I don't need to be convinced, but trying to make a case to our VP on
            > doing
            > > > this first rather than working on new features.
            > > >
            > > > We do have automated builds but the unit tests take forever to run and
            > > > often times the build fails due to unit test failures.
            > > >
            > > > We want to make a substantial effort to get to builds in 12 hours from
            > 3
            > > > or 4 days.
            > > >
            > > > Just hard to quantify the benefits.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > jack

            Steve Smith
            http://Ardalis.com/
            http://twitter.com/ardalis

          • Michael Hill
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
              Jack...

              By way of blowing my own horn, I can strongly recommend Industrial Logic's
              6-album set called The Testing and Refactoring Workshop. Four albums are
              about microtesting, and give a great deal of info on practical techniques.
              (The other two focus on Code Smells and Refactoring.)

              The key to learning this test driven development business is in learning
              how to make tests cheap. If they're not cheap, they won't be run or
              maintained, and that guarantees they'll never be of benefit. We give lots
              of attention to the very most basics of writing those cheap microtests.

              Go here to see the first microtesting album:
              http://www.industriallogic.com/elearning/ If you click through one of the
              images you can browse samples of the album.

              Seeya,
              Hill

              P.S. Apologies for the mercenary posting. I'd just say it's not about IL,
              it's about the *author* of several of those. I'm egotistical, not greedy.

            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 29, 2013
                What language(s) are you working in?

                On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hi Adam,
                >
                > I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write
                > faster tests.
                >
                > Thanks
                > jack
                >

                > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:
                > >
                > > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
                > > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
                > > would not let you either.
                > >
                > > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
                > > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right
                > back
                > > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix
                > it.
                > >
                > > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that
                > is
                > > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
                > > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.
                > >

                > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM, JackM wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > Can anyone point me to some real numbers on the benefits of automating
                > the
                > > > builds and continuous integration.
                > > >
                > > > Perhaps there's a good white paper on this topic.
                > > >
                > > > I don't need to be convinced, but trying to make a case to our VP on
                > doing
                > > > this first rather than working on new features.
                > > >
                > > > We do have automated builds but the unit tests take forever to run and
                > > > often times the build fails due to unit test failures.
                > > >
                > > > We want to make a substantial effort to get to builds in 12 hours from
                > 3
                > > > or 4 days.
                > > >
                > > > Just hard to quantify the benefits.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                > > > jack

              • Limbu
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2013
                  Hi Adam,

                  I am interested, how to write faster test in any programming language such as Java, C#, PHP etc. Can you recommend some resources please ?

                  Thank you

                  Regards and Metta,
                  Bhagi

                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:

                  > What language(s) are you working in?
                  >

                  > On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM, JackM wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Hi Adam,
                  > >
                  > > I would appreciate if you could recommend some resources on how to write
                  > > faster tests.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > jack
                  > >

                  > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > This is not the answer you want, but I think it is a bad idea for you to
                  > > > stop delivering features to improve the build, and if I were your VP I
                  > > > would not let you either.
                  > > >
                  > > > You need to build a culture of continually improving your automation to
                  > > > make it faster and easier to use. Otherwise, you're going to be right
                  > > back
                  > > > where you are in a few months asking for another chance to stop and fix
                  > > it.
                  > > >
                  > > > I suspect the tests you are writing are not really microtests, and that
                  > > is
                  > > > a big part of the problem. I could recommend some resources to help you
                  > > > learn how to write faster tests if you'd like.

                  > > the

                  > > doing

                  > > 3

                • Steve Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
                    Write your tests without tight coupling to external dependencies. File
                    systems, databases, etc. all make tests slow. I have a number of articles
                    on this topic here:
                    http://ardalis.com/avoid-entrenched-dependencies

                    Steve

                    Steve Smith