Prioritizing the backlog.

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 23, 2013
      So over the years the backlog grows.

      Defects, enhancements, technical debt, wish lists, good ideas, .....

      Yes, yes, yes, I know about the planning game.

      But the fact is it grows, it ages, better ideas come along, really really
      Good ideas get buried, priorities shift, customers come and go, customers
      have competing interests and different sized pocket books....

      The order in which stories are done often influences the total cost.

      How do you prioritise a list that is longer than anyone can keep in their
      head, taking into account competing customers and interests?

      Gotchas I have seen with "The Obvious" approaches are...

      * Important stuff that is hard to do gets infinitely deferred, because,
      "not now". And yet, if I look back, we would have gone faster if we bit the
      bullet years back and did it then.
      * Important stuff just gets forgotten... because our brains are too full
      of other "important" stuff.
      * Minor stuff, but utterly trivial to do gets, infinitely delayed, but
      again, if we just did it, we would have gone faster.
      * Stuff that was ranked important... but delayed, remains important even
      after the need for it has evaporated.

      All easy problems to solve....

      ...but become hard when the list is on the wrong side of 500 and the number
      of customers and interests are on the wrong side of 10.

      How do you do it?

      --
      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632

      --

      ------------------------------
      This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
      It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
      or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
      transmission.
      If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
      distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
      If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
      immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
      Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
      corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
      attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
      damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
      recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
      opening any attachments.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi John,

        On Jan 23, 2013, at 7:13 PM, John Carter <john.carter@...> wrote:

        > How do you prioritise a list that is longer than anyone can keep in their
        > head, taking into account competing customers and interests?

        Why would you try? Why not just figure out NOW what the most valuable things to do NOW are, and do them?

        I have two cats, and a big house full of cat stuff.
        The cats fight and divide up the house, messing up their own lives.
        Nice work cats.
        Meow.

      • Eric Tiongson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 23, 2013
          Your cup is full, you need to empty it.

          > How do you do it?

          Do nothing.

          For several minutes.

          Clear your head and think.

          What is it that's really important - today. :-)

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2013
            +1

            On Jan 23, 2013, at 8:17 PM, Eric Tiongson <tiongks@...> wrote:

            > Your cup is full, you need to empty it.

            Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
            But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. -- Andre Gide

          • Kevin Trethewey
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 23, 2013
              In the same position we deleted our backlog and switched to a top 10 (obviously with plenty communication).

              We felt like a weight was lifted and our customers no longer referred to our backlog as 'the black hole'.

              It means you sometimes have to deliver a difficult message to the stories that can't make the current top 10, but realistically if they can't then its not something we would be likely to be able to get to anyway.

              People take prioritisation a lot more seriously now as well.

              Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
              But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. -- Andre Gide

            • Alexander Kriegisch
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                How about resetting the backlog and creating a new one?

                Or if it seems to be too extreme even for an Extreme Programmer, kill everyting older than one year or x months. If it is important, it will reappear.

                Question: How can it be that something is really important, but rotting in the backlog for a year or longer? ;-)
                --
                Alexander Kriegisch
                http://scrum-master.de

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 24, 2013
                  Hi John,

                  On Jan 23, 2013, at 7:13 PM, John Carter <john.carter@...> wrote:

                  > All easy problems to solve....
                  >
                  > ...but become hard when the list is on the wrong side of 500 and the number
                  > of customers and interests are on the wrong side of 10.

                  See also my old article about having no backlog: Petition the King.

                  Why pay now when we can pay later?

                • John Carter
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 28, 2013
                    Yup, been there done that. A couple of gotchas with that approach.

                    1) The test team tend to get demotivated when they report bugs, and
                    sometime later retest and find the bugs is still there and the issue has
                    been Closed No Action.

                    2) Yup, some sort of "Age it out, is it still there? Is it still needed?"
                    process is definitely required. But unfortunately experience shows this
                    isn't an optimal way of doing it. Too much of real value / importance can
                    exist in the "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" corners, until an "Oh shit, we
                    should have remembered that, we deferred it from this release cycle, it got
                    sacrificed in the purge, we forgot it totally, and now we're going
                    ohshitohshitoshit."

                    Question: How can it be that something is really important, but rotting in
                    > the backlog for a year or longer? ;-)

                    Easy.

                    Anytime they say, "We really really need X, but it's really hard, and will
                    bump out W, Y, Z out of this release cycle, which we need almost as much."

                    Do that two or three times, people start to shorthand the logic chain, (X,
                    hard, not this cycle) and boomp! It falls victim to the purge.

                    And a cycle or five later somebody starts screaming "Hey! You could have
                    done X three times over by now! You promised it N years ago! What happened!
                    and then everyone looks shifty and somebody notes it is note even in the
                    backlog.

                    My current approach on handling that one is to break it into smaller
                    chunks, even if they have no customer value, so at least in each cycle we
                    can take one step towards eating the elephant.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 28, 2013
                      On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                      > On Jan 23, 2013, at 7:13 PM, John Carter <john.carter@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > All easy problems to solve....
                      > >
                      > > ...but become hard when the list is on the wrong side of 500 and the
                      > number
                      > > of customers and interests are on the wrong side of 10.
                      >

                      > See also my old article about having no backlog: Petition the King.

                      Hmm. Partly a good idea, partly gives rise to Courtiers and the rise of an
                      Obnoxracy. (Rule of the more persistent and obnoxious, rather than those
                      with the best ideas.)

                      It's not as if we haven't had socialised discovery of importance aided by
                      technology for awhile now. eg. pagerank, www.reddit.com and slashdot.org

                      I hope there is a better way than that... I'm a terrible Courtier and I
                      hate dealing with Obnoxocrats.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 28, 2013
                        John,

                        On Jan 28, 2013, at 8:08 PM, John Carter <john.carter@...> wrote:

                        > Hmm. Partly a good idea, partly gives rise to Courtiers and the rise of an
                        > Obnoxracy. (Rule of the more persistent and obnoxious, rather than those
                        > with the best ideas.)

                        Only has to do that if the king listens to them. and why would he?

                        It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
                        -- Ronald Reagan

                      • JackM
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 30, 2013
                          Thanks a ton for the awesome feedback and pointers to unit test resources.

                          Much appreciate,
                          Jack

                          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries wrote:

                          > John,
                          >
                          > On Jan 28, 2013, at 8:08 PM, John Carter wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hmm. Partly a good idea, partly gives rise to Courtiers and the rise of an
                          > > Obnoxracy. (Rule of the more persistent and obnoxious, rather than those
                          > > with the best ideas.)
                          >

                          > Only has to do that if the king listens to them. and why would he?
                          >
                          > Ron Jeffries
                          > www.XProgramming.com
                          > It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
                          > -- Ronald Reagan

                        • Curtis Cooley
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 31, 2013
                            On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Hi John,
                            >
                            > On Jan 23, 2013, at 7:13 PM, John Carter john.carter@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > All easy problems to solve....
                            > >
                            > > ...but become hard when the list is on the wrong side of 500 and the
                            > number
                            > > of customers and interests are on the wrong side of 10.
                            >
                            > See also my old article about having no backlog: Petition the King.
                            >
                            > +1

                            This is exactly what I thought of when I read the OP.

                            I also thought about Lean Procrastination which is very similar to Kevin's
                            top 10. Your customers know more about the product and what they need
                            better than you ever will so outsource the backlog to them :)