Re: [XP] Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • Tom Rossen
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
      Rob,

      Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
      2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
      times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

      Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
      working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
      curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
      I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
      and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
      rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
      acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
      evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
      would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
      Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

      So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
      the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
      worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
      the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

      Tom

      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Rob Myers <rob.myers@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Tom,
      >
      > Thanks for the supportive reply!
      >

      > > 35 years in my case, and amen! Here's a snippet from the cover letter
      > I've
      > > been sending out recently:
      >
      > Tom, if you are not currently gainfully employed, I can point you to a few
      > truly high-performing teams across the country. They are in the minority,
      > as most software/IT organizations struggle to change those
      > command-and-control cultures, and to foster passion and creativity in both
      > Product and Development areas.
      >
      > > *I just thought of an analogy to explain why I am so single-minded about
      >
      > > TDD. Suppose you need an operation and you're looking for a hospital to
      > do
      > > it. A major hospital sends you a wonderful brochure explaining how
      > > successful they are, what a high-tech surgical suite they have,, etc.,
      > etc.
      > > But when you call up and ask them whether the surgeons wash their hands
      > > before operating, they say, "Why would we want to do that?" Oh yes,
      > > surgery was practiced for centuries before surgeons ever scrubbed up -
      > it's
      > > a great tradition. But I don't think you'd want to have anything to do
      > with
      > > a hospital like that. That's how I feel about TDD. It's a matter of
      > > funda**mental
      > > software hygiene. *
      >
      > It's a perfect analogy. Scott Bain uses this in his book /Emergent Design/
      > as one example of how software development is similar to surgery. (Aside:
      > Apologies if I popped an original-idea bubble: So often I find I think of
      > something original, only to spot it in a blog post the next day. It's the
      > Newton-Leibniz Effect ;-) The medical field provides an analogy that gets
      > us much farther than bridge-building. Of course, no analogy is perfect, but
      > I often find myself thinking "Doctor, it hurts when I do *this*!" ;-)
      >
      > Happy Holidays!
      >

      > Rob
      >
      > Rob.Myers@...
      > Twitter: @agilecoach