Re: [XP] Microsoft Research on TDD

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
      --- "M. Manca" <m.manca@...> wrote:
      > Hi Jeff,
      > I have similar results about quality but about cost I
      > have a reduction between 25% to 45% compared with
      > similar embedded projects.

      Yes; some studies seem to ignore the fact that companies typically spend 90% to 99% or more of their software development budgets on maintenance. So the decreased maintenance costs of having fewer bugs, and more readable and maintainable code, and in-place test suites to prevent regression, are often overlooked.

      Even during the initial development phase, I've seen numerous benefits to the TDD approach. A friend of mine in the early 2000's studied a number of projects done in the same company with similar teams, similar management, the same tools, etc. -- giving him a good comparison of XP to their more conventional approaches. His numbers showed that not using XP cost the company two to four times as much -- just during the initial development project.