Re: [XP] Microsoft Research on TDD

  • pooya shahbazian
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
      hi
      thanks, it's so useful

      Pooya Shahbazian
      http://www.pooyablog.blogfa.com/

      ________________________________
      From: George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
      To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 2:03 PM
      Subject: Re: [XP] Microsoft Research on TDD

      Pooya,

      On 12/29/12 11:48 PM, pooya shahbazian wrote:
      > hi jeff
      > thanks for introducing the paper.

      If you're interested in such papers, you might find
      http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/StudiesOfTestDrivenDevelopment of
      use. There are a few other papers along this line.

      - George

    • JeffGrigg
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2012
        --- "M. Manca" <m.manca@...> wrote:
        > Hi Jeff,
        > I have similar results about quality but about cost I
        > have a reduction between 25% to 45% compared with
        > similar embedded projects.

        Yes; some studies seem to ignore the fact that companies typically spend 90% to 99% or more of their software development budgets on maintenance. So the decreased maintenance costs of having fewer bugs, and more readable and maintainable code, and in-place test suites to prevent regression, are often overlooked.

        Even during the initial development phase, I've seen numerous benefits to the TDD approach. A friend of mine in the early 2000's studied a number of projects done in the same company with similar teams, similar management, the same tools, etc. -- giving him a good comparison of XP to their more conventional approaches. His numbers showed that not using XP cost the company two to four times as much -- just during the initial development project.