Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • Rob Myers
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 28, 2012
      Tom,

      Thanks for the supportive reply!

      > 35 years in my case, and amen! Here's a snippet from the cover letter I've
      > been sending out recently:

      Tom, if you are not currently gainfully employed, I can point you to a few truly high-performing teams across the country. They are in the minority, as most software/IT organizations struggle to change those command-and-control cultures, and to foster passion and creativity in both Product and Development areas.

      > *I just thought of an analogy to explain why I am so single-minded about
      > TDD. Suppose you need an operation and you're looking for a hospital to do
      > it. A major hospital sends you a wonderful brochure explaining how
      > successful they are, what a high-tech surgical suite they have,, etc., etc.
      > But when you call up and ask them whether the surgeons wash their hands
      > before operating, they say, "Why would we want to do that?" Oh yes,
      > surgery was practiced for centuries before surgeons ever scrubbed up - it's
      > a great tradition. But I don't think you'd want to have anything to do with
      > a hospital like that. That's how I feel about TDD. It's a matter of
      > funda**mental
      > software hygiene. *

      It's a perfect analogy. Scott Bain uses this in his book /Emergent Design/ as one example of how software development is similar to surgery. (Aside: Apologies if I popped an original-idea bubble: So often I find I think of something original, only to spot it in a blog post the next day. It's the Newton-Leibniz Effect ;-) The medical field provides an analogy that gets us much farther than bridge-building. Of course, no analogy is perfect, but I often find myself thinking "Doctor, it hurts when I do *this*!" ;-)

      Happy Holidays!

      Rob

      Rob.Myers@...
      Twitter: @agilecoach
      http://www.agileInstitute.com/
    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom