Re: [XP] Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • Adam Dymitruk
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 24, 2012
      Yes both ways were tried. The legacy code is quite full of bugs. Any new
      code or even to fix new bugs, the features are added to the new system
      instead.

      On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Adam,
      >

      > On Dec 24, 2012, at 3:20 PM, Adam Dymitruk <adam@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Working with a team that was transitioning to Agile, I noticed that
      > pairing
      > > did not make sense for a department that was left in the maintenance of
      > > legacy code while the others were working on systems to replace the old
      > > system. This maintenance team was stuck with dead easy boring and time
      > > consuming tasks where pairing would not have helped.
      >
      > Did you try it both ways? Did they ever introduce errors, or fail to fix
      > bugs, in the legacy code?
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and
      > your tail, to get someplace better.
      > Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you
      > were made for this.

      Adam

      www.dymitruk.com

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom