RE: [XP] scrum certification

  • Kay A Pentecost
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 21, 2012
      Hi, Adam,

      I posted here because this group has a refined BS detector.

      Does a two day workshop + $1200 give any real credibility to an Agile or
      better yet XP hiring manager?

      The people on this list know.

      Thanks,
      Kay Pentecost

    • Ronald Jeffries
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 22, 2012
        Hi Kay,

        On Dec 21, 2012, at 11:12 PM, "Kay A Pentecost" <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

        > I posted here because this group has a refined BS detector.
        >
        > Does a two day workshop + $1200 give any real credibility to an Agile or
        > better yet XP hiring manager?
        >
        > The people on this list know.

        Good question. Answer not clear. There are organizations who require a CSM as part of their hiring process. Mostly, we believe that these organizations do not understand how little the CSM means. This is a triumph of Scrum marketing, if not much of an actual contribution to the world.

        On the other hand, the CSM course is often an amazingly powerful introduction to Agile and Scrum ideas. It can often set the participant on the path of learning how to do the things we do, and give them enough energy to stay on the path long enough to learn to like it.

        If I were looking for a job, and wanted to show that I was interested and somewhat skilled in these matters, I might include in my resume the fact that I attained the CSM rating, especially if I spent my own money to get it, more to show sincerity and dedication. I'd also list the things I did in the Agile community, conferences attended, talks given, intimate experiences with famous Agilists, you know, my whole connection with the biz. CSM rating could be part of that.

        It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
        -- Ronald Reagan

      • Joshua Partogi
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 22, 2012
          Hi Kay,

          CSM is not the only Scrum certification available on the market. You may
          also want to check http://scrum.org/ Certifications. Much better IMHO and
          you don't have to take the training to take the test ;-)

          On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hey, Ron,
          >
          > After some research a further question... where does one take the two-day
          > course?
          >
          > Kay
          >
          > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Jeffries
          > <ronjeffriesacm@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Kay,
          >

          > > On Dec 21, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Another question about Scrum certification... any recommended books?
          > >
          > > To get a CSM you must take a two day class and pass a rather simple
          > test. Most of the test content is covered in http://agileatlas.org 's
          > Core Scrum page.

          Kindest Regards,
          *Joshua Partogi*