Scrum Certification

  • Kay
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 21, 2012
      Hi, Everybody,

      I'll be getting back about my post about Ron's XP post, but first...
      I was just asked to list my agile certifications.

      agggh

      What certifications are there for "agile"? I know there are
      Scrum certifications... any online training that leads to certification?

      Any recommendations if I should want to get "Scrum certification" preferably in the Washington DC area?

      Thanks,

      Kay Pentecost
    • Daniel Wildt
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 21, 2012
        Kay,

        Do you have experience ir order to show what you know when it comes to
        apply agile practices?

        Do you really need a piece of paper to show who you are?

        16 hours of training will not do the work. They would help. Any good
        training can help.
        But your experience will really count on that.

        -- Daniel Wildt - @dwildt <http://twitter.com/dwildt>

        On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Everybody,
        >
        > I'll be getting back about my post about Ron's XP post, but first...
        > I was just asked to list my agile certifications.
        >
        > agggh
        >
        > What certifications are there for "agile"? I know there are
        > Scrum certifications... any online training that leads to certification?
        >
        > Any recommendations if I should want to get "Scrum certification"
        > preferably in the Washington DC area?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kay Pentecost

      • Laurent Bossavit
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2012
          Hi Kay,

          > I was just asked to list my agile certifications.
          > agggh

          You could write that at least one Gordon Pask award recipient has personally endorsed you. There are much fewer people who can say that than there are people who hold, say, a CSM. The rarer, harder to get endorsement should trump the more common one.

          Cheers,
          Laurent
        • Kay A Pentecost
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2012
            Hi, Laurent,

            I must say I hold that endorsement (thank you) and the friendship and
            support of the people on this list, and those I've met at the various
            conferences much dearer than any piece of paper.

            Unfortunately, the manager who asked for certifications holds paper dearer
            than friends, supporters, ability or experience. Even after years of hiring
            and being disappointed by "certificated" IT people, they still think that
            piece of paper means something.

            It is a truly UN-agile mindset in every way. They really really think that
            they understand agile... and they really really really don't.

            And I'm trying to use my skills and (hopefully) my covert persuasion
            techniques to introduce some concepts...

            Is it working? Hmmmmm.... I don't know. I have a KanBan board in my
            cubicle... two others have started KanBan of their own... there's some
            interest in TDD... and the word "agile" is being bandied about... so far
            always with the "we can't do agile here..."

            Wish me luck.

            If only they could experience the kind of support I've experienced...

            Kay

          • Kay A Pentecost
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2012
              Hi, Daniel,

              I am in complete agreement that 16 hours of training and a piece of paper
              will not show who I am.

              When I took Joshua Kerievsky's XP week long training, I didn't get a
              certificate, and I had learned a lot of XP from reading. What I got was a
              feel of the mindset of some really good developers, experience of working
              with the team, doing the XP practices. The training was amazing.

              And working now with the Industrial Logic on line training is amazing, too.
              I'm constantly learning new things, but particularly learning how to *think*
              about how to make the code and the process better. Easier and more
              comfortably, and the improvement is carrying over into my own code..

              Kay Pentecost

            • M. Manca
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
                Il 22/12/2012 05:12, Kay A Pentecost ha scritto:

                > Hi, Laurent,
                >
                > I must say I hold that endorsement (thank you) and the friendship and
                > support of the people on this list, and those I've met at the various
                > conferences much dearer than any piece of paper.
                >
                > Unfortunately, the manager who asked for certifications holds paper dearer
                > than friends, supporters, ability or experience. Even after years of
                > hiring
                > and being disappointed by "certificated" IT people, they still think that
                > piece of paper means something.
                >
                > It is a truly UN-agile mindset in every way. They really really think that
                > they understand agile... and they really really really don't.
                >
                > And I'm trying to use my skills and (hopefully) my covert persuasion
                > techniques to introduce some concepts...
                >
                > Is it working? Hmmmmm.... I don't know. I have a KanBan board in my
                > cubicle... two others have started KanBan of their own... there's some
                > interest in TDD... and the word "agile" is being bandied about... so far
                > always with the "we can't do agile here..."
                >
                > Wish me luck.

                I hope the company will pay you a lot because seems not to be the best
                place to work for an agile engineer :-).

                > If only they could experience the kind of support I've experienced...
                >
                > Kay

              • Theresa Jayne Forster
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
                  When asked how much agile certification I know , I mention being trained by
                  someone who worked with martin Fowler at thoughtworks and the other roles I
                  have had, plus I mention this group and the agile manifesto, that usually
                  keeps them quiet.

                  Theresa

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
                    That's what I'm talking about.

                    And how do people know you have attended an industrial logic training?

                    -- Daniel Wildt (+55 51 99989030) - http://twitter.com/dwildt

                    On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:13 AM, Kay A Pentecost <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Daniel,
                    >
                    > I am in complete agreement that 16 hours of training and a piece of paper
                    > will not show who I am.
                    >
                    > When I took Joshua Kerievsky's XP week long training, I didn't get a
                    > certificate, and I had learned a lot of XP from reading. What I got was a
                    > feel of the mindset of some really good developers, experience of working
                    > with the team, doing the XP practices. The training was amazing.
                    >
                    > And working now with the Industrial Logic on line training is amazing, too.
                    > I'm constantly learning new things, but particularly learning how to *think*
                    > about how to make the code and the process better. Easier and more
                    > comfortably, and the improvement is carrying over into my own code..
                    >
                    > Kay Pentecost

                  • Daniel Wildt
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
                      Do you have a place/moment in the company to share knowledge?

                      A way that you could talk about practices? This way you can start
                      sharing knowledge about short release cycles, how customer feedback is
                      important, how good it is to delivery continuously to customers so
                      they can evaluate, how planning can be effective, and things like
                      that.

                      Or run a coding dojo? With this you can start sharing more knowledge
                      about pairing, simple design and tdd.