Re: [XP] Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • Leonardo Postacchini
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 18, 2012
      I dislike the Idea that is implied by the term: Fake Agile, by stating
      such thing you are telling that there is a Right(tm) and a Wrong(tm) way of
      doing it, and that you know how it is. The way I see Agile, it is about
      always trying to review, understand, and improve on, you can only do that
      if you think there is the need and room to improvement.

      The term Fake Agile implies there is not. Besides that, being too pricky
      about how Truly Agile you are just scares people away and taints the whole
      stuff with radicalism stigma. Agile is about small sure footed step
      progress why not applying that to adoption?

      A bit of Agile is better than not Agile at all, and if the project failed,
      maybe it was Not Agile Enough.

      On 18 December 2012 14:45, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Charlie,
      >
      > Yes, we do know some good techniques (and values and principles), and they
      > do seem always to work if done correctly.
      >
      > (I note this is the True Scotsman fallacy but that doesn't mean it's
      > false.)
      >
      > Yes, there is resistance, and there isn't uptake everywhere. And yes, we
      > can say we don't care about wider adoption. And maybe, borrowing a phrase
      > from JB, we really don't mind. Except, we do, most of us. Some of us mind
      > so much that we get out of the general helping business and get a job doing
      > the stuff. And more power to those folks. There's great honor in just doing
      > one's craft as well as one can.
      >
      > Except we do care, we do mind.
      >
      > I kind of resonate with the idea of calling out "Fake Agile". A concern
      > with that is that the people doing it are probably not overtly faking it.
      > Instead, they're probably doing their best with the hand they're dealt.
      > It's the damn Prime Directive again.
      >
      > And it certainly can't do much harm to keep making clear that you have to
      > put in the effort. At the same time, I feel absolutely sure that working in
      > the ways I have learned from XP, I have to put out less effort than I did
      > before. So that's odd.
      >
      > My seed note here was driven by the realization (belief) that the wave of
      > Agile/Scrum is flattening out, and that there is no real leadership of any
      > notable kind, either whipping up that wave, or starting a new one. Because
      > there was a wave, that says to me that there could be a wave.
      >
      > We surely can't bring the entire world around. We didn't bring the entire
      > world around the first time. We did manage to create, somehow, a bunch of
      > people who made noise and helped the world get to where it is now, and I
      > think it is somewhat better now than before Agile.
      >
      > So it seems to me that there must be a thing that could be done that would
      > do it again. And I'd like that.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > There's no word for accountability in Finnish.
      > Accountability is something that is left when responsibility has been
      > subtracted.
      > --Pasi Sahlberg

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom