Re: [XP] Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • RonJeffries
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 18, 2012
      Hi Charlie,

      On Dec 17, 2012, at 10:03 PM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...> wrote:

      > So I find it quite easy to believe that Jim's Core Protocols may really
      > always work in exactly the same way - i.e. if and only if you do them.

      Yes, I imagine that they and other things do work ... if you do them ... and do them "correctly".

      Even TDD can slow someone down ... and we'd argue that they aren't doing it right, and would believe that if we sat with them, we could show them how we make it work for us. Often we could, though I've had only limited success with TDD in Linden Scripting Language.

      But my ... concern, I guess, since it isn't an objection ... is that those things are not likely to be done by the bulk of people.

      I suppose nothing good or bad is likely to be done by the bulk of people.

      And I still think the iron is hot to redirect some chunk of the world in view of Scrum's ... situation.

      Wisdom begins when we learn the difference between "that makes no sense" and "I don't understand". -- Mary Doria Russell

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom