Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 17, 2012
      > What is there to do except develop the silver bullet for software
      > development?

      I don't know that a revolutionary method is necessary, but I agree that "compliance scrum" is not getting us where we want to go.

      When I spoke at the Canterbury Software Summit in New Zealand, in the time the prior presenter left me (it was a good talk, but I trimmed 1/3 out of my talk to fit the clock), I said what I believe to be the case: agile practices don't work because they are agile; agile works because the practices work.

      We tap into a well of real power when we do the things that really work (and not the things that seem like good ideas). For instance, when people are really into continual improvement and frequent delivery, scrum is a powerhouse. When they are not, then scrum piddles about making some changes and maybe even helping to improve things a little bit over the course of months/years.

      The trouble that a lot of companies have is:
      * they blame the problems of the system on the citizens of the system ("we need better minions")
      * the successful citizens of the system (typically managers & architects) refuse to change it

      * they demand a positive balance of devotion and commitment in their favor
      * they expect minions to produce more by sheer willpower and application of elbow-grease

      Agile (including scrum) originally was putting things right again, using feedback and team decision making and safe technical practices.

      Where scrum (often called "agile") goes wrong is with taking ceremonies that belong to the new system and bolting them to the old.

      Certainly, a resurgence of the values won't "take" under the banner of the same groups who downgraded them.

      We probably need a new banner to fly over the proven practices. But we need more attention to the reason that they work than the mechanics of managing those practices.

      Tim Ottinger <tottinge@...>
      http://industriallogic.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom