[XP] Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 16, 2012

      --- RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > One of the biggest objections to Scrum is that you have to
      > change a lot. Some of the hard parts are:

      For some, it doesn't take much for them to *THINK* that they're doing scrum: Stand-up meetings and monthly deadlines do it for some.

      > Cross-functional team;

      Except when they decide that they want separate specialized teams, as that's they way they've always done things.

      > deliver working software every couple of weeks;

      Well yea, one can ask for that. But some teams deliver powerpoint presentations at the end of every sprint. :-[

      > empowered Product Owner who can actually decide what to do and when.

      Sometimes it seems that "empowerment" is a word used by everyone and severely misunderstood by some. "I keep the power and place the blame on you" isn't real empowerment, but that's what's done in some places. :-(
    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom