Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • Ram Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 16, 2012
      I believe agile, in general, has
      crossed<http://www.estherderby.com/2012/06/agile-and-the-chasm.html>the
      chasm <http://agilitrix.com/2011/03/post-chasm-agile-blues/>. Scrum is
      widely popular, and seasoned professionals know that we need to help
      organizations adopt XP technical practices as well.

      IMHO, the challenges faced by innovators and early adopters are not the
      same as the challenges faced by early majority.

      Ron,

      In your wisdom, what challenged do we (as agile practitioners/change
      agents) face in helping the early majority successfully adopt agile?

      Ram

      On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Adam,
      >

      > On Dec 10, 2012, at 6:20 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The problem is that Scrum is being sold to the companies who have money
      > > throw away on process consulting, but those companies aren't actually
      > > capable of getting out of their own way. I won't name any names, but I've
      > > been to big named companies and listened to them tell me that they know
      > > what they are doing wrong and will never be able to do anything about it.
      >
      > Yes. And I may be holding my hand up to stop the tide, but I do feel there
      > is a moment here where some, at least, are finding themselves ready to be
      > reminded of some things we have long known, and some things we're still
      > learning.
      >

      > > What I decided to do is stop taking hundreds of dollars an hour to tell
      > > people they are doing it wrong and start taking a whole lot less money to
      > > work with a startup to help them do it right while it is still early
      > enough
      > > for them to do something about it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
      >
      > I see you and Dave, and some others going out to be the change you want to
      > see in the world, and, I suppose, to have a better time doing it than you
      > have been. That gives me a kind of hope for growth from within, which is
      > probably stronger then delivering "Agile" from outside.
      >
      > It will still be hard, I'm sure. I wish you, and the others trying this
      > path, great success, and great patience.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Wisdom begins when we learn the difference between "that makes no sense"
      > and "I don't understand". -- Mary Doria Russell

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom