Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 15, 2012
      Hi Steven,

      Been a while!

      On 12-12-15 8:01 PM, Steven Gordon wrote:
      >> Someone should do something about this.
      > What is there to do except develop the silver bullet for software
      > development?

      Stainless steel bullets would be fine... and in most places probably a
      revolutionary improvement over the musket balls they currently use.

      >> Discuss.
      > The Agile community has made a big impact. We can continue to make
      > marginal improvements and better explain how and why Agile works, but I
      > believe there is no revolutionarily better approach.

      So, incrementally, Agile will become the alchemist's dream of
      transmuting lead to... uh... silver? ;)

      As for "no revolutionarily better approach", I have a tough time
      believing this (which could be because I don't want to believe it). I've
      tired of the fight and am now working internally at a great company to
      help ensure that they remain agile. This company's process has been
      built from the ground up, adding bits as required rather than applying a
      recipe someone else conjured. It has served them quite well as they
      reach >60 people in the development group. The process has flavours
      from open source, XP, Continuous Deployment and a dash of Lean Startup,
      but it's unique to the company. It isn't perfect, but the process works
      pretty damned well.

      There's something about that approach that might fit in with what Ron is
      suggesting. There are a ton of great ideas out there, and they don't
      all work everywhere. What would be interesting to me would be coming up
      with some way to help groups build their process incrementally from zero
      rather than giving them a complete answer and telling them to make it fit.

      Dave...
    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom