Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 15, 2012
      On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Scrum comes in two forms:
      >
      > One: Stuff that works kind of well, but not VERY well.
      > Two: Extreme Programming.
      >
      > Scrum as a movement continues to grow, but it's not really going anywhere.

      Software development is hard work. There are no silver bullets.

      Scrum works if you do it right (eventually evolving into something similar
      to XP), but it requires work, discipline and commitment. It is especially
      difficult for a large, already established organization to do it right.
      The same is true of XP, Kanban, and any of a number of other variants that
      may or may not have already been defined.

      What is there other than a silver bullet that would go further that the
      various agile ways to reliably develop high quality software that requires
      work, discipline and commitment and is more difficult the more people are
      involved?

      > Someone should do something about this.

      What is there to do except develop the silver bullet for software
      development?

      > Discuss.

      The Agile community has made a big impact. We can continue to make
      marginal improvements and better explain how and why Agile works, but I
      believe there is no revolutionarily better approach.

      Steven Gordon

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the
      > chance?
      > -- Ronald Reagan

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom