Re: [XP] Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • Derek Neighbors
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 14, 2012
      Kay,

      On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hey, Ron,
      >
      > I was hoping there'd be a *lot* of responses to this, but I've been
      > disappointed.

      I have found this is largely because people in the community are perfectly
      happy being where they are at, there is little desire for real change.
      There is a difference between following process (of any kind
      XP/Scrum/Kanban) and truly adapting and learning. This is often cited as
      "doing" agile instead of "being" agile. The truth is an equal percentage
      of people do XP and Kanban as bad as people do Scrum, there are just a hell
      of a lot less of them doing so. It is merely a numbers game.

      The original signatories seem to have little to no interest in changing the
      "historical" document (manifesto). Many of them are too busy aligning some
      certification scheme or retooling an existing one to win the "process" war.
      Plus, most who started the revolution already won. They got what they
      wanted. They wanted to ship software and be on a team that was human.
      They did that. They proved that.

      Now we are asking for entire organizations to be human. We are looking at
      systems instead of teams. We are facing much deeper challenges and much
      greater complexity. The Scrum Alliance is unable to adapt to this
      environment. Largely because they have created a nice model for CST's, one
      that they are not yet ready to change. Think how hard the recording
      industry fought against napster, threatening their business model.

      There are people lighting fires for the revolution. They are throwing tea
      off boats. You just don't see it on this list because it's not where the
      revolutionaries do their business. This list is status quo, not the
      disruption.

      Ron I guess I would ask what was the original intent of this message? (A
      core protocol's intention check so to speak)

      -
      Derek Neighbors
      http://derekneighbors.com
      Mobile: 480-335-9746
      Skype: derek0108

      Partner at Integrum Technologies : http://integrumtech.com
      Co-Founder of Gangplank : http://gangplankhq.com
      Editor at Agile Weekly : http://agileweekly.com

      Connect With Me
      Linked In : http://linkedin.com/in/dneighbors
      Twitter : http://twitter.com/dneighbors

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom