scrum and user story

  • Raf Roger
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hi,

      I'm looking for help/confirmation about user story.
      i read several books but had some issues to get confirmation and to reach
      some scrum forums/communities.

      let say i have a feature "Create Account" which consists of several user
      stories:
      1. as unknown user i want to create candidate account so that i can store
      my resume to apply to a job offer
      2. as administrator i want to create consultant account so that employee
      can manage candidates
      3. as consultant i want to create candidate account so that i can retype
      candidate resume into system
      4. as administrator i want to create candidate account so that i can retype
      candidate resume into system
      ..
      this is a short example, but i would like to know if it's correct or not,
      because user stories 1,3,4 are same or very close.

      i would like to know if such decomposition is correct or not.
      if not what is the best way to do it (please be concrete) ?
      i still have some problem to know when to stop or not with decomposition
      especially when several roles/actors can perform the same user story.

      thank a lot for your help.

      --
      Alain
      *Windows 7 x64 / Fedora 17 x64

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
        Hi, Raf,

        On 12/9/12 7:17 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm looking for help/confirmation about user story.
        > i read several books but had some issues to get confirmation and to reach
        > some scrum forums/communities.
        >
        > let say i have a feature "Create Account" which consists of several user
        > stories:
        > 1. as unknown user i want to create candidate account so that i can store
        > my resume to apply to a job offer
        > 2. as administrator i want to create consultant account so that employee
        > can manage candidates
        > 3. as consultant i want to create candidate account so that i can retype
        > candidate resume into system
        > 4. as administrator i want to create candidate account so that i can retype
        > candidate resume into system
        > ..
        > this is a short example, but i would like to know if it's correct or not,
        > because user stories 1,3,4 are same or very close.
        >
        > i would like to know if such decomposition is correct or not.
        > if not what is the best way to do it (please be concrete) ?
        > i still have some problem to know when to stop or not with decomposition
        > especially when several roles/actors can perform the same user story.

        I would suggest that creating the account is not the point of the story.
        It's an implementation detail.

        What if we start again with a single category of user.

        1. As a user, I want to store my resume to apply to a job offer.

        What happens next? I think if we look at the other things that follow,
        we'll identify the need for an account. The account is a means to some
        end(s).

        - George