Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • RonJeffries
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 9, 2012
      On Dec 9, 2012, at 3:34 PM, "daswartz@prodigy" <daswartz@...> wrote:

      > Friday, December 7, 2012, 11:37:32 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >
      >> Scrum comes in two forms:
      >
      >> One: Stuff that works kind of well, but not VERY well.
      >
      > Ah. But, even little tiny improvements feel so good, when we're in a
      > place where we haven't seen any improvement for years.

      True enough, but I had hoped for more. Still do ...

      > Unfortunately, the way many organizations are, we never get beyond
      > this.
      >
      >> Two: Extreme Programming.
      >
      > Yep. Why is it that so many people think Extreme Programming is only
      > for programmers?

      Could it be that silly name?

      >> Scrum as a movement continues to grow, but it's not really going anywhere.
      >
      > Well, it's going places like SAFe. Maybe big organizations will get
      > some benefit out of the Scaled Agile Framework. They seem to think it
      > addresses big issues. Unfortunately, it also feels very BIG. But,
      > we'll see. I'm going to class on it this week.

      Please give us a report on it. I'm not sure where it comes from. The Scrum Alliance certainly isn't behind it. They are sailing slowly, but maybe surely toward raising the bar for "certification". I support raising the bar though I do not care for the word "certification", since the holders of the cert are not uniformly impressive.

      >> Someone should do something about this.
      >
      > Someone's been keeping Ron Jeffries in a cage for the last couple of
      > years. He got let out. Hooray!

      I've been working from within. :) Seriously, I'd like to see a resurgence of what Chet and I have started referring to as "Deep Agile", representing what happens when you do more than just dip your toes in the shallow end of the pool. And I'm starting to understand some things that I didn't understand a decade ago, which may be of some value.

      I certainly deeply respect those like Dave and others who would prefer to do it. Changing the world you're in is perfectly good. "Be the change you want to see" and all that. And do what you bloody well like -- that's certainly what I do. :)

      That said, I think there is a sort of stagnation going on. Or at least the wave has spread so far that it's hitting people as more of a ripple. Makes me think there might be some way to make another wave. I'd like that, if it didn't take me too far from the coffee shop where I spend most of my time.

      Anyone got a wave in their pocket?

      Don't ignore your dreams; don't work too much; say what you think; cultivate friendships; be happy. -- Paul Graham

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom