Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • daswartz@prodigy
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 9, 2012
      Friday, December 7, 2012, 11:37:32 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Scrum comes in two forms:

      > One: Stuff that works kind of well, but not VERY well.

      Ah. But, even little tiny improvements feel so good, when we're in a
      place where we haven't seen any improvement for years.

      Unfortunately, the way many organizations are, we never get beyond
      this.

      > Two: Extreme Programming.

      Yep. Why is it that so many people think Extreme Programming is only
      for programmers?

      > Scrum as a movement continues to grow, but it's not really going anywhere.

      Well, it's going places like SAFe. Maybe big organizations will get
      some benefit out of the Scaled Agile Framework. They seem to think it
      addresses big issues. Unfortunately, it also feels very BIG. But,
      we'll see. I'm going to class on it this week.

      > Someone should do something about this.

      Someone's been keeping Ron Jeffries in a cage for the last couple of
      years. He got let out. Hooray!
    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom