Re: Scrum, and Revolution

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 8, 2012
      I tend to see it as:

      From a business/managers perspective -
      Scrum has easily adopted practices that show visible action (scrum meetings, planning sessions, etc)

      XP has hard to adopt engineering practices that are only directly visible in the code and over time. (i.e. how TDD is critical to be able to use Simple Design so that you can have confidence to change the design of code but know you aren't breaking another feature.)

      People tend to believe more action equals more value

      There may be argument on whether the XP practices are hard to adopt but my experience has been that most developers have learned under the model where they are siloed and must be extremely careful when they touch someone elses code. They have grown up under the model where time pressure exists to just get something done rather than to do it right. They have spent so long under the model where they get blamed for a mistake that they generally over-design a solution. Trying to "unteach" these practices by providing them a mentor and giving them the cover from management to make the right choice wasn't always enough.

      What I've seen is that there are lots of people that have gotten into development because they can write enough code to solve a problem and they are hooked on the drug of seeing something work. They've never gotten past the coding until it works mindset. The demand for development is too high and thus you'll get these people that call themselves developers but you wouldn't want to work with them because of the junk they put out.

      Culture change is a long-term dedicated "brainwashing". What if those that are passionate about the true discipline of programming spent time teaching college students the XP discipline and practices? What if each major city had meetup groups where each of the disciplines were practiced and explained? It would take time and effort but anything worthwhile is hard work. I remember an employee on my team once telling me that "there are better ways to build software". He had learned that from a previous mentor. Together we were able to spread that to another 30 developers.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Scrum comes in two forms:
      >
      > One: Stuff that works kind of well, but not VERY well.
      > Two: Extreme Programming.
      >
      > Scrum as a movement continues to grow, but it's not really going anywhere.
      >
      > Someone should do something about this.
      >
      > Discuss.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
      > -- Ronald Reagan

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom