Re: [XP] Scrum, and Revolution

  • M. Manca
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 7, 2012
      Il 07/12/2012 18:37, RonJeffries ha scritto:

      > Scrum comes in two forms:
      >
      > One: Stuff that works kind of well, but not VERY well.

      I agree.

      > Two: Extreme Programming.

      Yes, Extreme Programming is more useful because it "suggest" some
      practices that are very well suited to real sw development.

      > Scrum as a movement continues to grow, but it's not really going anywhere.
      >
      > Someone should do something about this.
      >
      > Discuss.

      What I can say is that I appreciate a lot every effort to improve
      software development (in the largest meaning of the term).
      In my opinion XP practices and techniques and something taken from
      others in the field of BDD and ATDD (both ideas, techniques and tools)
      should be explored and integrated a little better but I think that they
      are mature now so it is difficult to find a main way to follow.

      In my specific situation I don't need improvements on how to develop and
      test my applications, I need a more integrated approach starting from
      the requirements to the acceptance tests execution, I mean more
      automation to translate requirements into acceptance tests also with
      some reverse engineering.

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the
      > chance?
      > -- Ronald Reagan

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom