Scrum, and Revolution

  • RonJeffries
    Message 1 of 167 , Dec 7, 2012
      Scrum comes in two forms:

      One: Stuff that works kind of well, but not VERY well.
      Two: Extreme Programming.

      Scrum as a movement continues to grow, but it's not really going anywhere.

      Someone should do something about this.

      Discuss.

      It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
      -- Ronald Reagan

    • Tom Rossen
      Message 167 of 167 , Dec 30, 2012
        Rob,

        Thanks for your kind offer. I am currently gainfully employed - until Feb.
        2, when my current contract runs out. Northern Trust renewed it as many
        times as they could, but there's a hard limit of 1.5 years.

        Re the high-performing teams: it's funny, but I really think I prefer
        working with an organization that's struggling with Agile. I'm extremely
        curious as to why XP practices, which seemed so obvious and satisfying when
        I first read Kent Beck's book years ago, are so frustrating for developers
        and managers who aren't used to them and didn't volunteer for them. I was
        rather seriously burned on my previous engagement when the company was
        acquired by a conglomerate and the policy of openness to Agile suddenly
        evaporated, so my insistence on TDD - which no longer seems as doomed as it
        would have been just a year ago, based on what I'm seeing now in the
        Chicago area - is protection against that sort of thing.

        So I'm curious about the high-performing teams you mention - at least in
        the Chicago area: I don't intend to relocate or commute a long distance (I
        worked in Madison, WI for several years after the dot-com-bomb wiped out
        the Chicago market - not a fun commute).

        Tom