Re: [XP] Well done waterfall+agile

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
      I can't give you exactly what you are looking for, but here's an old paper that is amusing and thought-provoking, on the topic of faking a rational design process. It has relevance:

      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~taylor/classes/121/IEEE86_Parnas_Clement.pdf

      Tim Ottinger <tottinge@...>
      http://industriallogic.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

    • Agustin Villena
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
        AFAIK the very first "agile" papers (before the term was coined) was this
        set from @unclebob

        http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/IIDI.pdf
        http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/IIDII.pdf
        http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/IIDIII.pdf

        In the wider agile spectrum, you have the meta-method called Kanban, that
        you can apply over your existing process to make it more agile in an
        evolutionary fashion.

        http://www.leanssc.org/files/201004/powerpoint/4.21%2011.15am%20Shalloway%20SeeingWhatMatters.pdf

        Best Regards
        @agustinvillena
        El 08/11/2012 20:46, "marcodorantes" <marcodorantes@...> escribi�:

        > **
        >

        > Hi all,
        > I am looking for articles or papers that talk about the details of how to
        > successfully execute a development project with a waterfall fa�ade to the
        > upper-management layer and an agile approach for the development team. All
        > is new in the project: the team, the users, the application, the
        > technology. Note that with �waterfall� I mean strict sequential stages of
        > requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing, deployment to production,
        > and three months of maintenance; along with a fixed-price/fixed-scope
        > contract, and a single Gantt chart as part of the signed contract. This
        > Gantt chart will work as the criteria for payments at the end of each stage
        > against stated deliverables in the contract.
        >
        > I have heard, from time to time, that some teams have done precisely that
        > and very well done. Yet, I have not checked the evidence to believe it.
        >
        > Could you point to those articles or papers?
        >
        > Thank you very much in advance.

      • Allen Higgins
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2012
          I view SCRUM and Kanban as exactly that, although not a facade as such
          with its negative connotations as a falsification of the underlying
          process however.
          In my opinion a SCRUM or Kanban style environment that emphasises the
          XP practices can in fact coexist nicely with a ISO 9001:2008 QMS
          corporate environment.

          Allen