Well done waterfall+agile

  • marcodorantes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2012
      Hi all,
      I am looking for articles or papers that talk about the details of how to successfully execute a development project with a waterfall façade to the upper-management layer and an agile approach for the development team. All is new in the project: the team, the users, the application, the technology. Note that with «waterfall» I mean strict sequential stages of requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing, deployment to production, and three months of maintenance; along with a fixed-price/fixed-scope contract, and a single Gantt chart as part of the signed contract. This Gantt chart will work as the criteria for payments at the end of each stage against stated deliverables in the contract.

      I have heard, from time to time, that some teams have done precisely that and very well done. Yet, I have not checked the evidence to believe it.

      Could you point to those articles or papers?

      Thank you very much in advance.
    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2012
        I can't give you exactly what you are looking for, but here's an old paper that is amusing and thought-provoking, on the topic of faking a rational design process. It has relevance:

        http://www.ics.uci.edu/~taylor/classes/121/IEEE86_Parnas_Clement.pdf

        Tim Ottinger <tottinge@...>
        http://industriallogic.com/
        http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

      • Agustin Villena
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
          AFAIK the very first "agile" papers (before the term was coined) was this
          set from @unclebob

          http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/IIDI.pdf
          http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/IIDII.pdf
          http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/IIDIII.pdf

          In the wider agile spectrum, you have the meta-method called Kanban, that
          you can apply over your existing process to make it more agile in an
          evolutionary fashion.

          http://www.leanssc.org/files/201004/powerpoint/4.21%2011.15am%20Shalloway%20SeeingWhatMatters.pdf

          Best Regards
          @agustinvillena
          El 08/11/2012 20:46, "marcodorantes" <marcodorantes@...> escribi�:

          > **
          >

          > Hi all,
          > I am looking for articles or papers that talk about the details of how to
          > successfully execute a development project with a waterfall fa�ade to the
          > upper-management layer and an agile approach for the development team. All
          > is new in the project: the team, the users, the application, the
          > technology. Note that with �waterfall� I mean strict sequential stages of
          > requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing, deployment to production,
          > and three months of maintenance; along with a fixed-price/fixed-scope
          > contract, and a single Gantt chart as part of the signed contract. This
          > Gantt chart will work as the criteria for payments at the end of each stage
          > against stated deliverables in the contract.
          >
          > I have heard, from time to time, that some teams have done precisely that
          > and very well done. Yet, I have not checked the evidence to believe it.
          >
          > Could you point to those articles or papers?
          >
          > Thank you very much in advance.

        • Allen Higgins
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2012
            I view SCRUM and Kanban as exactly that, although not a facade as such
            with its negative connotations as a falsification of the underlying
            process however.
            In my opinion a SCRUM or Kanban style environment that emphasises the
            XP practices can in fact coexist nicely with a ISO 9001:2008 QMS
            corporate environment.

            Allen