A guy who wants to practise in XP

  • lincaican
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
      This is a newbie to Programming,ONLY work with C,in small embeded
      system,such as 8051 and stm8.

      Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
      partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
      each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
      lines.

      I've work for a small coporate for one and a half year,as the ONLY one
      member to writing code,test,debug and so on.

      It is a painful progress,haha...
      But it influenced me a lot ,taught me things,one of the most important
      things is that,software project should be done in another much more
      effectively,organized,useful ways.
      So I read classical books such as McConnell's Code Completely,Kent
      Beck's Extreme Programming Explained,Code Craft,and so on.

      I was impressed,expecially two things:
      1.Test before coding,test drive development;
      And I was thought about that HOW CAN I USE THE SUGGESTION IN BOOKS IN
      MY EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING ENVIROMENT.
      2.XP
      Yeah,it's simple,it starts smaller,it seems effectly.
      I was eager to quickly begin to practise in XP.
      But,the situation which I work ,I live is not so easy,yeah,things always
      not so easy,I know.
      Such as how can you find a guy coding with you.

      I've just read Beck's book for onceâ€"â€"as the busy job,and
      something of personal life....
      Anyway,I just finish the first time reading,and I wants to take part in
      this society,to see what XP people and how they do.

      Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
      partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
      each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
      lines.

    • Keith Ray
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
        I might be available - contact me via email (where you are. Project info. Efc.
        Keith . Ray @ gmail dot com

        C. Keith Ray
        http://agilesolutionspace.blogspot.com/
        twitter: @ckeithray

        On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:44 AM, "lincaican" <755087287@...> wrote:

        > This is a newbie to Programming,ONLY work with C,in small embeded
        > system,such as 8051 and stm8.
        >
        > Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
        > partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
        > each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
        > lines.
        >
        > I've work for a small coporate for one and a half year,as the ONLY one
        > member to writing code,test,debug and so on.
        >
        > It is a painful progress,haha...
        > But it influenced me a lot ,taught me things,one of the most important
        > things is that,software project should be done in another much more
        > effectively,organized,useful ways.
        > So I read classical books such as McConnell's Code Completely,Kent
        > Beck's Extreme Programming Explained,Code Craft,and so on.
        >
        > I was impressed,expecially two things:
        > 1.Test before coding,test drive development;
        > And I was thought about that HOW CAN I USE THE SUGGESTION IN BOOKS IN
        > MY EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING ENVIROMENT.
        > 2.XP
        > Yeah,it's simple,it starts smaller,it seems effectly.
        > I was eager to quickly begin to practise in XP.
        > But,the situation which I work ,I live is not so easy,yeah,things always
        > not so easy,I know.
        > Such as how can you find a guy coding with you.
        >
        > I've just read Beck's book for onceâ€"â€"as the busy job,and
        > something of personal life....
        > Anyway,I just finish the first time reading,and I wants to take part in
        > this society,to see what XP people and how they do.
        >
        > Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
        > partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
        > each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
        > lines.

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
          On 8/31/12 5:44 AM, lincaican wrote:
          > This is a newbie to Programming,ONLY work with C,in small embeded
          > system,such as 8051 and stm8.

          Cool! I started out in embedded systems, working with 8-bit
          microprocessors. I even published an 8051 "emulator" in Byte Magazine, once.

          > Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
          > partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
          > each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
          > lines.

          Another option is discussing code online. There used to be more of that
          on this list, but you can likely start such discussions here or
          elsewhere. The Agile-Embedded list
          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AgileEmbedded/) might be a great place
          for you. I'd suggest using published code, or post the code in a gist
          (https://gist.github.com/). Then post a message saying what you find
          interesting about it and asking for comments.

          > I've work for a small coporate for one and a half year,as the ONLY one
          > member to writing code,test,debug and so on.
          >
          > It is a painful progress,haha...

          I've worked solo, so I understand the feeling of isolation.

          > But it influenced me a lot ,taught me things,one of the most important
          > things is that,software project should be done in another much more
          > effectively,organized,useful ways.
          > So I read classical books such as McConnell's Code Completely,Kent
          > Beck's Extreme Programming Explained,Code Craft,and so on.
          >
          > I was impressed,expecially two things:
          > 1.Test before coding,test drive development;
          > And I was thought about that HOW CAN I USE THE SUGGESTION IN BOOKS IN
          > MY EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING ENVIROMENT.
          > 2.XP
          > Yeah,it's simple,it starts smaller,it seems effectly.
          > I was eager to quickly begin to practise in XP.
          > But,the situation which I work ,I live is not so easy,yeah,things always
          > not so easy,I know.

          In some ways it's easier, as you can just decide to try something and
          see how it works for you. But I understand the desire to get feedback
          from others on your ideas.

          > Such as how can you find a guy coding with you.

          It might be easier if people knew where you were located.

          > I've just read Beck's book for onceâ€"â€"as the busy job,and
          > something of personal life....
          > Anyway,I just finish the first time reading,and I wants to take part in
          > this society,to see what XP people and how they do.
          >
          > Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
          > partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
          > each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
          > lines.

          Where can you meet other programmers in your area?

          - George

        • James Grenning
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
            You might want to look at Test-Driven Development for Embedded C (www.pragprog.com/titles/jgade) and numerous articles on my website and blog.

            Like George suggested, join the AgileEmbedded yahoo group and get some suggestions there

            thanks, James

            James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
            www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
            www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
            www.twitter.com/jwgrenning

            On Aug 31, 2012, at 4:44 AM, lincaican wrote:

            > This is a newbie to Programming,ONLY work with C,in small embeded
            > system,such as 8051 and stm8.
            >
            > Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
            > partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
            > each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
            > lines.
            >
            > I've work for a small coporate for one and a half year,as the ONLY one
            > member to writing code,test,debug and so on.
            >
            > It is a painful progress,haha...
            > But it influenced me a lot ,taught me things,one of the most important
            > things is that,software project should be done in another much more
            > effectively,organized,useful ways.
            > So I read classical books such as McConnell's Code Completely,Kent
            > Beck's Extreme Programming Explained,Code Craft,and so on.
            >
            > I was impressed,expecially two things:
            > 1.Test before coding,test drive development;
            > And I was thought about that HOW CAN I USE THE SUGGESTION IN BOOKS IN
            > MY EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING ENVIROMENT.
            > 2.XP
            > Yeah,it's simple,it starts smaller,it seems effectly.
            > I was eager to quickly begin to practise in XP.
            > But,the situation which I work ,I live is not so easy,yeah,things always
            > not so easy,I know.
            > Such as how can you find a guy coding with you.
            >
            > I've just read Beck's book for once��"��"as the busy job,and
            > something of personal life....
            > Anyway,I just finish the first time reading,and I wants to take part in
            > this society,to see what XP people and how they do.
            >
            > Thank you ,and ,as a principle to XP,start smaller,I want to met a
            > partner in coding,maybe we can just begin with read and comment the code
            > each other,they maybe just a small function or a project less than 500
            > lines.

          • lincaican
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
              Sorry for forgot to introduce my location and other info like that.

              Here is GuangZhou,China,one of the biggest cities in South of China.

              And I thinking about the idea to contact the programmer in my area,but I just didn't begin to do it well.

              En,I will try it later.
            • lincaican
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

                > On 8/31/12 5:44 AM, lincaican wrote:

                > Another option is discussing code online. There used to be more of that
                > on this list, but you can likely start such discussions here or
                > elsewhere. The Agile-Embedded list
                > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AgileEmbedded/) might be a great place
                > for you. I'd suggest using published code, or post the code in a gist
                > (https://gist.github.com/). Then post a message saying what you find
                > interesting about it and asking for comments.

                A good idea!Thank you ,and I will check it out later!

                > I've worked solo, so I understand the feeling of isolation.

                Well,That's true,but most of time,I care more about the way we develop the software.
                I don't know the situation in other place,but here,in China,people who develop software,especially the small coporate,they just didn't notice that they should use a much more organized way to coding ,test and debug.
                And ,as a newbie,sometimes I couldn't get something in this term from my boss,my classmate,even thought,they didn't support me work as the way I thought would be much better.

                > In some ways it's easier, as you can just decide to try something and
                > see how it works for you. But I understand the desire to get feedback
                > from others on your ideas.

                Yeah,it's true,I wrote amounts of article in Chinese,and post in a forum in China which I love to go.
                I shared about my experienced,codes and so on to people,I just want to bring some discussion,so we can learn the subject deeply.
                But,people just don't care or maybe couldn't involved.

                > Where can you meet other programmers in your area?

                Well,this question,I will try my effort to do it.
                > - George

              • lincaican
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                  A great suggestion,I will check it later.
                  Thank you,Lin

                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, James Grenning <james@...> wrote:

                  > You might want to look at Test-Driven Development for Embedded C (www.pragprog.com/titles/jgade) and numerous articles on my website and blog.
                  >
                  > Like George suggested, join the AgileEmbedded yahoo group and get some suggestions there
                  >
                  > thanks, James

                  > James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
                  > www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
                  > www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
                  > www.twitter.com/jwgrenning

                • James Grenning
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2012
                    I see you are from China. My book is available in Chinese.

                    On Aug 31, 2012, at 10:20 AM, lincaican wrote:

                    > A great suggestion,I will check it later.
                    > Thank you,Lin
                    >
                    > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, James Grenning <james@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > You might want to look at Test-Driven Development for Embedded C (www.pragprog.com/titles/jgade) and numerous articles on my website and blog.
                    > >
                    > > Like George suggested, join the AgileEmbedded yahoo group and get some suggestions there
                    > >
                    > > thanks, James

                    > > James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
                    > > www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
                    > > www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
                    > > www.twitter.com/jwgrenning

                  • lincaican
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
                      Jesue,I found it!
                      A so bad name__I mean they translate it in China,if I don't got the information here from you,I just couldn't find.
                      Many for java,many for PC ----I don't mean that they are less helpful,but it could take my time to fill the gap between the different language and different enviroment.

                      In China ,it's impossible to log twitter or facebook,nice to meet you here,Grenning!

                      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, James Grenning <james@...> wrote:

                      > I see you are from China. My book is available in Chinese.

                      > James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
                      > www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
                      > www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
                      > www.twitter.com/jwgrenning
                      >

                      > On Aug 31, 2012, at 10:20 AM, lincaican wrote:
                      >
                      > > A great suggestion,I will check it later.
                      > > Thank you,Lin
                      > >
                      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, James Grenning <james@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > You might want to look at Test-Driven Development for Embedded C (www.pragprog.com/titles/jgade) and numerous articles on my website and blog.
                      > > >
                      > > > Like George suggested, join the AgileEmbedded yahoo group and get some suggestions there
                      > > >
                      > > > thanks, James

                      > > > James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
                      > > > www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
                      > > > www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
                      > > > www.twitter.com/jwgrenning

                    • lincaican
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 26, 2012
                        I 've read the TDD for embeded C,and try to use the Unity.
                        Now I can understand the basic of Unity framework.
                        And yesterday,I try to used it in my some 32-bit Maxim MCU project.
                        I found there are 2 warnings of Unity.
                        1.the library I got haven't define the putchar() -- But it's not important.
                        2.in the Unity,the declaration of function which haven't parameter,such as
                        void xx(),
                        it warns that it's the old style declaration,
                        void xx(void)
                        is ok.