Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • John Maxwell
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 10, 2012
      On 08/09/2012 03:12:32 PM, Dave Rooney wrote:
      > I though 'BO' meant Body Odour.
      >
      > Dave...

      It's a derivative usage from Body Odor, based on the fact that they
      both smell bad, and the perpetrator is usually unaware of the odor.

      -John

      --
      John Maxwell KB3VLL jmax@...

      "The Government are very fond of collecting statistics. They collect
      them, add them, raise them to the nth power, take the cube root, and
      prepare wonderful diagrams. But you must never forget that every one
      of these figures comes in the first instance from the village
      watchman, who just puts down whatever he damn well pleases."
      - Sir Josiah Stamp
    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com