Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9, 2012
      Ron,

      Here is the revised text:

      "A casual glance at the above statements might leave one with the impression they are inconsistent with the notion of Pattern Encoding. Arguably, using encoding for "type or scope information" [underlining added] is distinct from using encoding for pattern identification. Here are two example names (linked to class diagrams):"

      http://wp.me/P1FU3L-Ag

      Any thoughts?

      _Marvin

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...> wrote:

      > Ron,
      >
      > I tried to address this with the following comment:
      >
      > "It is informative to read these statements from a Pattern Encoding perspective. A casual glance might leave one with the impression they are inconsistent. However, using encoding for "type or scope information" [underlining added] is distinct from using encoding for pattern identification."
      >
      > http://wp.me/P1FU3L-Ag
      >
      > I'll work on saying this better...
      >
      > _Marvin
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Marvin,
      > >
      > > Read what you quoted.
      > >
      > > > "We have enough encodings to deal with without adding more to our burden. Encoding type or scope information into names simply adds an extra burden of deciphering."
      > >
      > > This does NOT make the case for a two character suffix. To my eyes it comes out directly against what you are doing.
      > >
      > > Ron Jeffries
      > > www.XProgramming.com
      > > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
      > > if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
      > > -- Kelly Easterley

    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com